At least one and possibly two armed robbery teams continue to strike the North Side multiple times a day while managing to elude police.
Lakeview, North Center, and Logan Square have been hit seven times or more since Thursday, according to information gathered by CWBChicago. Remarkably, three armed robberies—including one carjacking—were reported within 10 minutes in Logan Square this morning.
Here’s the latest by neighborhood:
|Approximate locations of this morning’s two incidents in Lakeview | BatchGeo|
• 1:30 a.m. Saturday: Two men walked up to a man near Nelson and Greenview, pulled out a gun, and forced him to the ground. They took the man’s computer bag wallet, money, and phone. Both robbers, described as being black men wearing dark hoodies and baggy clothes, were last seen running westbound on Wellington.
• 2:36 a.m. Saturday: Police suspect that a robbery team’s effort may have been foiled in the 1600 block of West Roscoe. A resident called police after seeing two men “messing with” her friends in a parking lot. The caller’s boyfriend ran to the scene to confront the two men. The men, whose descriptions closely match the robbers from Nelson, fled southbound on Lincoln Avenue in a silver Ford Fusion.
|Locations of this morning’s three robberies in Logan Square. | BatchGeo|
• 1:10 a.m. Saturday: Two men put a gun to a woman’s stomach, demanded her purse, and threw her to the ground in the 2400 block of North Spaulding. Both then jumped into a gray sedan that fled southbound. The men could be white or Hispanic, the victim said.
• 1:15 a.m. Saturday: Two men armed with two handguns carjack a woman and take her purse in the 2800 block of North Campbell. The offenders drive off in the victim’s charcoal-colored Jeep wagon bearing a license plate that begins with AK49. Both offenders wore blue hoodies with painter masks on their faces. They appeared to be black, 16-17 years old, and were thin, she said.
• 1:20 a.m. Saturday: Two men pull out a handgun and throw a man to the ground in the 2500 block of North Fairfield. They take the man’s backpack, phone, and cash before running away southbound. The victim said the robbers are two black men, 25-30 years old, 5’11” tall, with medium builds. One had long dreads and wore a green hoodie with a knitted cap.
|Locations of two robberies in North Center on Thursday. | BatchGeo|
• 12:30 a.m. Thursday: A bar patron reports that two men armed with two handguns tried to rob him near the Celtic Crown, 4301 North Western. The offenders are last seen running eastbound on Cullom. No further description of the robbers is available.
• 11:15 p.m. Thursday: A woman is robbed at gunpoint by two men near Wolcott and Belle Plaine. The offenders ran past the Irving Park Brown Line station and jumped into a gray sedan which may have been a Nissan Altima or a Ford Focus. Both robbers are men, but the victim was not sure if they were both black or if one was black and the other Hispanic. One of the men was thin, about 5’6” tall, 20-years-old and wore a white hoodie.
Alert Issued, Vehicle Described
On Wednesday, police issued an alert after establishing a pattern of at least 13 armed robberies across the city’s North and Northwest Sides.
The alert said the hold-ups were being committed by two Hispanic men between 18 and 26-years-old who are using an older model gray or silver sedan. They stand about 5’9” tall, have medium builds, and usually wear dark hoodies or dark jackets.
A police department source told CWBChicago that cops believe the suspect vehicle is a Nissan Altima or Ford Focus with a spoiler and sunroof.