Old Town man charged after phone theft victim fights back, police say

Monty Morgan | CPD

Update November 20, 2020 — Monty Morgan pleaded guilty to one count of robbery in exchange for a sentence of two year’s probation, according to court records.

Ouch!

A 19-year-old Old Town man’s face wound up worse for wear after he allegedly stole a phone that he had arranged to purchase.

Police said Monty Morgan and a 36-year-old Bridgeport man agreed to meet in the 1200 block of North Larrabee so Morgan could purchase the other guy’s $900 iPhone. But, when the two got together around 8:30 p.m. on Aug. 8th, Morgan took the phone and ran away, the alleged victim said.

The alleged victim tackled Morgan in a nearby parking lot, and a fight broke out. Police said Morgan punched the man repeatedly in the face, prompting the alleged victim to “defend himself.” The victim suffered a bloody nose, bruising, and a bite to the back of his left arm, police said.

And Morgan’s mugshot shows he was not unscathed.

Meanwhile, a witnessed jumped into the fray and helped hold Morgan down until police arrived.

Prosecutors charged Morgan with felony theft and misdemeanor battery. Judge John Lyke released him on a recognizance bond with electronic monitoring.

Police said the phone was never found.

—————–
———-
Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube
About CWBChicago 4360 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets.