15-year-old pulled gun on Walgreens employees, police say

The Walgreens at 2500 North Clark. | Google

A 15-year-old boy pulled a handgun and threatened staff members of a Walgreens who tried to stop him from shoplifting in Lincoln Park Saturday afternoon, according to Chicago police. Charges are pending.

Police said the teen and a 17-year-old male companion entered the store at 2500 North Clark around 2:25 p.m. and then tried to walk out of the store with unspecified merchandise.

Two men who work for the store, ages 22 and 25, confronted the teens but backed away when the 15-year-old threatened them with a handgun.

The two juveniles fled to a northbound #36 Broadway bus and left the area, according to witnesses.

Officers stopped the bus near Broadway and Wellington a few minutes later. Cops removed both teens from the bus and recovered a handgun from the 15-year-old, according to a CPD spokesperson. Witnesses and the victims identified the boys for police, the spokesperson said.

The older teen was later released without being charged. The 15-year-old remains in custody as prosecutors consider charges.

Illinois law prevents officials from releasing further details about the juvenile.

Please support CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a monthly or annual subscription. Members-only perks await!

About CWBChicago 6676 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com