Gun charges filed against man detained after Howard CTA station slaying

Michael Jackson | CPD

An 18-year-old Rogers Park man is charged with possessing a loaded handgun in connection with Tuesday’s fatal shooting of 20-year-old Macksantino Webb at the Howard CTA station. But prosecutors are not charging him with Webb’s murder.

Michael Jackson of the 1600 block of West Chase is charged with one felony count of unlawful use of a weapon, police said. Judge Arthur Willis set bail at $10,000, which requires Jackson to post a 10% deposit bond to get out of jail before trial.

Police arrested Jackson shortly after the shooting inside Jewel-Osco, 1763 West Howard.

Webb and his girlfriend were inside the Howard station’s vestibule around 12:20 p.m. when a group of people jumped Webb, and a gunman shot him in the neck and chest, according to police. Webb ran to the platform and collapsed in the northbound Purple Line boarding area. Doctors pronounced him dead less than an hour later at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston.

Police searched the area for suspects, working with details from witness descriptions and surveillance video. Some witnesses reported seeing a possible shooter run into the Jewel-Osco, and officers found Jackson inside wearing clothing similar to the shooter’s, according to a police report.

Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please make a contribution to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

A backpack containing a handgun was found abandoned near the store’s carry-out meal section. Witnesses said they saw Jackson place the backpack there, police said.

Investigators determined that the recovered handgun was of a different caliber than the weapon that was used to kill Webb, according to prosecutors.

Police detained a second man after the shooting, but he was later released without being charged.

According to CPD records, prosecutors in August charged Jackson with criminal trespass to vehicles after police arrested him on the 7900 block of South Loomis. The status of that case was not immediately available. 

Detectives continue to investigate the shooting.

Webb’s family moved him to Rogers Park three years ago to escape widespread violence in his South Side neighborhood, according to a 2016 profile in the Chicago Sun-Times.

Then 17, Macksantino Webb was “just trying to survive a summer” as the city’s murder rate soared, the paper said.

About CWBChicago 6555 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com