Strike four! Toothless “probation” sends accused robber back on the streets again and again

Tyrese Parris | CPD

Since Tyrese Parris pleaded guilty in September to a reduced charge of theft from person in connection with a violent robbery, he has been arrested three more times — including once for allegedly headbutting a cop in the nose and battering a CTA Red Line passenger. But Cook County’s feckless court system has released him back on the streets each time.

Back on May 8, prosecutors charged Parris with felony robbery, battery, and three counts of theft of lost or mislaid property after he mugged a 21-year-old man in Uptown.

Prosecutors said Parris, 21, and two others beat the victim in the face, threw him to the ground, then took the man’s phone, headphones, and credit cards.

When officers located Parris a short time later, they allegedly found the victim’s property in his possession along with a wallet, a debit card, and a Ventra card that belonged to three other men. Police said Parris “made statements admitting his participation in the robbery” after being advised of his right to remain silent.

On Sept. 16, Judge Shelley Sutker-Dermer sentenced Parris to two years probation after he struck a deal with prosecutors in which he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of theft from person.

On Dec. 5, prosecutors charged Parris with two counts of possessing a controlled substance on the 900 block of West Belmont. He was subsequently released.

On Dec. 21, police arrested Parris as he allegedly prowled cars inside a parking garage on the 3400 block of North Broadway. Prosecutors charged him with possessing burglary tools and trespassing. He was released on his own recognizance.

That gets us to his latest episode.

On Jan. 1, a 28-year-old Gold Coast resident flagged down police at the Roosevelt CTA station and reported that Parris punched him as they rode a southbound Red Line train near Monroe. Police said the victim suffered “blunt force injuries” to his face.

Officers arrested Parris on the platform. He immediately began resisting and he headbutted one cop in the nose, causing the officer to become disoriented, police said. Parris later kicked a second officer during a custodial search, according to CPD records.

Prosecutors charged him with felony aggravated battery of a police officer, two counts of battery, and two counts of resisting police.

Despite the fact that he is on probation for a felony and has two other pending cases that appear to be violations of that probation, a judge allowed Parris to go home after posting a $100 deposit bond.

He’s due back in court on Wednesday.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

About CWBChicago 6875 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is