Uptown: 26-year-old man questioned after 1-year-old is shot in the head

Police found a bloody elevator inside this residential building at 850 West Eastwood that led them to a crime scene inside a 12th floor apartment. | Google

Investigators overnight questioned a 26-year-old man who told police that a one-year-old boy was shot in the head by gunmen in Uptown on Monday evening.

Police encountered the man on the 800 block of West Leland as he walked the boy to Weiss Memorial Hospital at 7:38 p.m. The boy had a gunshot wound to his head, police said, and was subsequently transferred to Lurie Children’s Hospital in serious condition.

The man told police that two gunmen opened fire on him from the passenger side of a silver SUV in an alley behind the 800 block of West Leland moments before he crossed paths with police as he took the boy to Weiss. CWBChicago is not publishing the man’s name because he has not yet been charged with any crime.

But the officers, who were in the immediate area at the time of the purported shooting, heard no gunfire and no residents made 911 calls to report shots fired in the area, according to police records.

Investigators soon located a bloody elevator in a high-rise residential building on the 800 block of West Eastwood. That led them to a 12th floor apartment where officers found spent shell casings and blood spatter in the kitchen and living room.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

Evidence technicians also examined the man’s personal vehicle, which happens to be a silver SUV, that was found parked on the 800 block of West Leland.

“We are trying to sort through the initial reports on how this child was injured,” Anthony Guglielmi, CPD’s chief spokesperson, said on Twitter. “We have many questions about the timeline of events and will seek physical evidence and video to corroborate the reports.”

The building where the blood trail and shell casings were found is the same residential tower where then-18-year-old Mubashra Uddin threw her newborn baby girl to its death from an 8th floor window on Nov. 11, 2015.

Uddin eventually received a sentence of four year’s probation after prosecutors agreed to drop all murder charges against her in exchange for a guilty plea to involuntary manslaughter of a family member.