Man charged with “execution style” shooting in CTA tunnel, police say

Torrez Cathery | CPD

Police have arrested a convicted felon in connection with Monday’s triple shooting in a Loop CTA pedestrian tunnel that left 24-year-old Edward Charleston dead, Interim Police Supt. Charlie Beck said Thursday evening.

Torrez Cathery, 23, was arrested by a U.S. Marshals task force and Chicago police in suburban Oak Park. He “had to be tazed” by federal agents during his arrest, CPD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a tweet.

Prosecutors charged Cathery with first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery by discharge of a firearm, police said. He is due in bond court on Friday.

Beck said the shooting involved Cathery and a man that Cathery allegedly threatened with a knife in October.

The alleged October victim saw Cathery on the train and began to follow Cathery with a group of people around 2 a.m. on Monday, Beck said. Once inside the tunnel, Cathery turned around and began shooting as the group moved closer, according to Beck.

Cathery then walked over to one of the fallen victims and shot him “execution style” from “right above him,” Beck said.

One of the surviving victims is in grave condition and the other is stable, according to Beck.

Police records show Cathery has been arrested 20 times in Chicago since he turned 18 in 2014, including seven times in the past year. He was given a two-year prison sentence for his second illegal firearm possession case that same year, according to state records.

Cathery was charged with two counts of aggravated assault in connection with the knife incident on Oct. 14. Since then, he has been arrested for narcotics in November and criminal trespass to vehicle last month.

Details of Cathery’s bail bond conditions and the status of the court cases were not immediately available on Thursday night.

Back CWB’s reporting team and we’ll reward you with members-only reports and services all year long. Join HERE for just $49 a year or $5 a month.

About CWBChicago 6698 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com