Woman accused of 3 Red Line attacks last week while free on a pair of recognizance bonds (including one for robbery)

Tatyona Davis is seen in mugshots from Jan. 14; Feb 9; and Feb. 24, 2020. | CPD

A West Town woman is accused of committing three separate attacks on the Red Line last week while she was free on a recognizance bond for allegedly robbing a Jewel-Osco in Wicker Park and yet another recognizance bond for shoplifting.

Most recently, police arrested 19-year-old Tatyona Davis near the Chicago Red Line station at 1:11 a.m. on Feb. 24. A 21-year-old woman told cops she saw Davis and a 16-year-old girl throwing food at a man who was asleep on a Red Line train.

When the woman intervened, one of the food-throwers sprayed her in the face with pepper spray, according to police. Officers found Davis and the teen at McDonald’s, 10 East Chicago, and the victim identified the pair as the individuals who were involved, police said.

Prosecutors charged the 16-year-old with battery but declined to charge Davis without further investigation by police.

But, while police had Davis, prosecutors *did* approve charges against her for two other Red Line incidents last week.

First, Davis is charged with the attempted robbery and aggravated battery of a 20-year-old woman at the Clark-Division station around 9 a.m. on Feb. 23.

The woman reported that someone came up behind her on an escalator at the station, sprayed her with pepper spray, and tried to steal her bag. During the attack, the offender began screaming for help to confuse witnesses into thinking that she was the victim, police said.

The offender then pulled out a “long, shiny object” and stabbed the woman in her chest, causing a puncture wound, and ran out of the station, according to police.

An ambulance transported the victim to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in good condition. Police searched for the offender but came up empty-handed.

Prosecutors also charged Davis with battery in connection with an attack at a Loop Red Line station on Feb. 21.

In that case, a 25-year-old woman reported that she saw two females “being rowdy” on the Red Line shortly before she exited the train.

As the woman went up the escalator at Lake Street, she felt someone in her pocket and turned around to see the two “rowdy” females immediately behind her. The “rowdy women” turned around and ran down the “up” escalator with the victim’s phone, police said.

The victim chased after the two offenders, yelling at them to drop her phone. They did. And one of them pepper-sprayed her and punched her in the face two times when she tried to pick it up, according to police. The victim declined medical attention.

Judge Mary Marubio set bail for the CTA cases at $50,000 and ordered Davis to go onto electronic monitoring if she’s able to post a 10% deposit bond.

At the time of the alleged Red Line attacks, Davis was free on two separate recognizance bonds for other pending criminal cases.

In one case, prosecutors alleged that Davis displayed a kitchen knife and pepper-spray while lunging at an employee who tried to prevent her from shoplifting a bottle of Jack Daniel’s at Jewel-Osco, 1341 North Paulina, on Feb. 9.

Police said they recovered a 6-inch kitchen knife, a 3-inch paring knife, and pepper-spray from Davis during her arrest.

Court clerk records show Davis is charged with felony armed robbery, misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon, and misdemeanor retail theft in the case. She was released on her own recognizance.

Davis was already free on another recognizance bond at the time.

On Jan. 14, a Target employee detained Davis after she allegedly stole $789 worth of clothing from the retailer’s location at 2650 North Clark. 

While the value of the allegedly stolen merchandise is more than twice Illinois’ $300 felony threshold, prosecutors refused to filed felony charges, police said. Instead, a misdemeanor retail theft case was filed and Judge Arthur Willis released Davis on her own recognizance.

Davis, who remains jailed on the CTA cases, is due back in court on Mar. 16.

Will you help us recover the costs of operating CWBChicago? You can make a contribution or purchase a subscription HERE.

About CWBChicago 6329 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com