Couple charged with luring Lakeview woman into robbery ambush

Dylan Brychta and Nadia Mendoza | CPD

A Chicago couple lured a female acquaintance into a robbery ambush outside the victim’s Lakeview home Thursday, prosecutors said in bond court Saturday.

Dylan Brytka, 27, and his girlfriend, 26-year-old Nadia Mendoza, are each charged with felony robbery.

The duo reportedly arranged to meet the victim on the 3900 block of North Lake Shore Drive around 8:15 a.m. on May 14. Shortly before that time, Mendoza got out of Brytka’s car and hid behind a dumpster near the building’s loading dock, according to prosecutors. Brytka allegedly drove around the block and returned to pick the victim up at her front door.

After the woman sat down in Brytka’s passenger seat, Mendoza emerged from behind the dumpster, jumped into the car’s back seat, and began punching and scratching the woman, prosecutors alleged.

Mendoza threw the woman from the car and Brytka told Mendoza to get the victim’s valuables, according to a police report. Mendoza allegedly grabbed the victim’s purse and two cellphones then jumped into Brytka’s car, which sped from the scene.

The building’s surveillance cameras reportedly captured the entire incident. And the victim was able to give Brytka’s license plate number to police.

Investigators used the information to compile photo line-ups for the victim. Prosecutors said she identified Brytka and Mendoza in the photo arrays Friday. Police took the couple into custody at Mendoza’s home on Saturday. Mendoza had some of the victim’s property in her possession and she admitted to participating in the crime, according to prosecutors.

Judge John Lyke set bail at $20,000 for Brytka and $10,000 for Mendoza. He ordered them to go onto electronic monitoring if they can individually post 10% deposit bonds.

Prosecutors said Brytka was convicted of armed robbery as a juvenile. In 2014, he was charged with swinging a baseball bat and threatening two people on the Southwest Side.

Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please make a contribution to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6880 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com