Update: Man charged with shooting 5-month-old is on probation for illegal gun possession, prosecutors say

A Chicago man was on probation for illegal gun possession when he shot a 5-month-old boy and two adults in Old Town on July 17, prosecutors said in bond court Sunday.

Prosecutors said surveillance video recorded footage of 21-year-old Teantun Davis getting out of a car and firing 14 rounds at two men as they ate a sandwich on the 1400 block of North Hudson around 7 p.m. A 19-year-old man was shot in the shoulder, and a 25-year-old man was shot in the buttocks.

Teantun Davis | CPD

The baby was sitting in a stroller about 100 yards away from the men when a bullet struck him near his right eye, according to prosecutors.

All three victims are recovering.

After the shooting, Davis allegedly returned to a nearby vehicle that sped from the scene. Witnesses provided the car’s license plate number to police, and officers arrested Davis when it crashed on the 3900 block of South Wentworth a short time later.

Moments before he was taken into custody, Davis threw a handgun that has been forensically linked to the bullets that struck the three victims, according to prosecutors. The gun, police said, was stolen from its owner in 2018.

Two other men who were in the car escaped. Police previously said one of them had also been arrested.

Defense attorney Steven Greenberg disputed prosecutors’ claims that Davis is the gunman who was captured on surveillance video.

Prosecutors said Davis is on two-years probation for illegal possession of a firearm. According to CPD records, Davis was arrested in that case on June 26, 2019, in the 900 block of North Cambridge.

Davis is charged with two felony counts of aggravated battery by discharge of a firearm and unlawful use of a weapon by a felon. 

Judge John Lyke ordered Davis held without bail in the shooting case and also ordered him held without bail for violating the terms of his probation agreement.

Back CWB’s reporting team and we’ll reward you with members-only reports and services all year long. Join HERE for just $49 a year.

About CWBChicago 6769 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com