Attacker who stabbed homeless men in Grant Park has also struck twice on Red Line, cops say

CTA surveillance images of the man who has allegedly stabbed four homeless men as they slept, killing one. | CPD

A serial attacker who has fatally stabbed one sleeping homeless man and critically wounded another in Grant Park this summer has committed two similar assaults aboard the CTA Red Line, police said, most recently on Tuesday morning.

The offender stabs homeless men in their necks as they sleep, police said. He uses a knife in his left hand to commit the attacks, then flees, according to details released by CPD detectives late Wednesday.

In CTA surveillance images, the suspect is seen wearing a jacket with a distinctive “Aero 1987” design that appears similar to one that was worn during earlier attacks in Grant Park.

Chicago police are looking for this man in connection with two stabbings of homeless men in Grant Park during July. | CPD

He struck most recently aboard a Red Line train at the 95th/Dan Ryan station around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday, August 18, according to police. Investigators also revealed for the first time that the offender carried out another attack on the Red Line at 1:51 a.m. on July 15 at the 63rd Street station.

Both victims from the Red Line attacks survived. But the first known victim, 53-year-old Aaron Curry, did not.

Aaron Curry

Police found Curry fatally stabbed at 1125 South Michigan in Grant Park after a passer-by noticed he had not moved from the same spot for several days around 8 a.m. on July 9.

Another homeless man was critically wounded at 3:51 a.m. on July 24 while he slept in virtually the same spot where Curry died, according to police.

Detectives said the suspect has a slender build, stands 5’9” to 6’1” tall, and wears the distinctive “Aero 1987” sweatshirt.

Anyone with information about the offender can contact Area Three detectives Leavitt and Taglieri at 312-744-8261 regarding alert JD-307995. Anonymous tips can be submitted to cpdtip.com

Back CWB’s reporting team and we’ll reward you with members-only reports and services all year long. Join HERE for just $49 a year.

About CWBChicago 6568 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com