Update February 8, 2022: Treyvon Green pleaded guilty to aggravated unlawful use of a weapon in exchange for two years probation and 50 hours of community service. Prosecutors dropped four additional felony counts, including possession of a stolen motor vehicle. The judge who handled sentencing is not identified in court records.
A Chicago man is facing gun and stolen motor vehicle felony charges — but not a carjacking count — after police allegedly found him driving a newly-carjacked vehicle with a gun in his waistband early Thursday.
Four men hijacked the car at gunpoint in the 3400 block of West Cullom around 2:50 a.m. November 5, according to Chicago police.
A short time later, cops found the carjacked vehicle traveling in traffic on the 7600 block of South Damen in Auburn Gresham. Officers pulled the car over and arrested its driver, Treyvon Green, after a short foot chase, CPD said in a statement.
Prosecutors said police found a loaded 9-millimeter handgun in Green’s waistband during a pat-down search. He allegedly admitted to possessing the gun.
Prosecutors charged Green, age 18, with felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and felony possession of a stolen motor vehicle. He has no previous arrests, the state said.
Judge David Navarro set bail at $5,000. Green went home a short time later after posting a $500 deposit bond.
Chicago police detectives included the Cullom Avenue carjacking on a long list of similar crimes as it warned residents of five CPD districts about a series of vehicular hijackings that have been reported since October 11.
Police typically release community alerts when they believe an individual or group is responsible for a crime pattern.
In the carjacking alert, detectives said between one and four men have been demanding victims’ property and vehicles at gunpoint in the Albany Park, Near North, Town Hall, and Lincoln Police Districts on the North Side. The Bridgeport-based Deering District was also included in the warning.
Detectives linked eleven other carjackings and robberies to the crime spree. You can click on linked addresses and times for further details of the incidents:
- in the 600 block of West Dickens at 7:22 p.m. October 11
- in the 2000 block of North Burling at 7:24 p.m. October 11
- in the 2500 block of North Sheffield at 10 p.m. October 26
- in the 400 block of West Wrightwood at 11:15 p.m. November 1
- in the 600 block of West Kemper at 11:45 p.m. November 1
- in the 1800 block of North Sedgwick at 11:15 p.m. November 3
- in the 5400 block of South Morgan at 1:30 a.m. November 4
- in the 4500 block of North Central Park at 7:04 a.m. November 4
- in the 2500 block of North Southport at 6:05 p.m. November 4
- in the 2600 block of North Bosworth at 6:18 p.m. November 4
- in the 5000 block of North Mozart at 5:25 p.m. November 5
Police said the robberies and carjackings are being committed by a small group of Black males who stand 5’7” to 6-feet tall and are between 16- and 30-years-old.
Anyone with information about the crimes can contact Area Three detectives at 312-744-8263 regarding pattern 20-CWP-018.