#7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say

A 17-year-old charged with shooting a man during a carjacking attempt in Logan Square on Wednesday is the seventh person accused of killing or shooting someone in Chicago this year while awaiting trial on other serious felonies.

The situation could have been much worse for the victim, who suffered a graze wound to his hand. His iPhone deflected a second round that the teen allegedly fired at his stomach, Assistant State’s Attorney Kevin Deboni said.

“There but for the grace of God,” Judge Arthur Willis remarked after hearing the allegations against Travon Duffie during a bond hearing Thursday.

Wednesday morning’s events began when Duffie allegedly took an orange Honda Scion at gunpoint from a 31-year-old man at a gas station in the Austin neighborhood around 5:45 a.m. Two co-offenders who helped him fled the scene in another car, according to Deboni.

About 30 minutes later, Duffie ran up to a 57-year-old man as the victim got into his car with a cup of coffee at Amoco, 2338 North Sacramento, Deboni said. Duffie allegedly displayed a handgun and demanded the man’s keys.

But the victim resisted, and Duffie shot him in his left hand, Deboni alleged. The teen then allegedly fired a second round at the man’s abdomen, but the iPhone blocked its path. The entire incident was captured on surveillance video.

Duffie returned to the carjacked Scion that he arrived in and sped away, Deboni said.

A few minutes later, Duffie crashed the car into another vehicle outside Humboldt Park. Police found him nearby with a handgun in his waistband, Deboni continued.

Duffie has three pending aggravated battery cases in juvenile court, Deboni said.

Prosecutors on Thursday charged Duffie as an adult with aggravated battery by discharging a firearm and three counts of aggravated vehicular hijacking and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon as a juvenile.

Judge Willis ordered him held without bail.

Related reporting

Will you help us recover the costs of operating CWBChicago? You can make a contribution or purchase a subscription HERE.

About CWBChicago 6689 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com