Prosecutors on Sunday charged a man with five counts of attempted murder after he allegedly shot a Chicago police officer who responded to calls of gunfire on the West Side this weekend. According to the state, Tracey Thomas Jr, 29, also shot at a passing car, striking its passenger, and narrowly missed shooting a Divvy bike rider in a ruse to draw police to the area.
Thomas has been AWOL on drug distribution charges since he stopped showing up for court appearances in September, court records show. He is the eleventh person accused of killing or trying to kill someone in Chicago this year while on bond for another felony.
Around 11:30 a.m. Saturday, a Divvy bike rider was traveling near the 200 block of North La Crosse when he heard a click and saw Thomas pointed a silver handgun at him, prosecutors said. Thomas allegedly fired a shot as the victim ducked, and the victim felt something pass through his clothing.
The bicyclist noticed a bullet hole in his clothing and then fled while Thomas racked the gun, which had apparently jammed, prosecutors said.
Minutes later, a woman was driving around the area searching for a parking spot when she heard a popping sound. She stopped, thinking that she had a tire problem, and her boyfriend got out to look for damage. As he did, someone shot the boyfriend in his buttocks, according to prosecutors.
The couple sped to a different area and called for help.
Meanwhile, a resident who saw Thomas firing at the couple called police, prosecutors said.
Two police officers and a CPD evidence technician were processing shell casings behind the resident’s home when they heard popping sounds and saw a bullet hole appear in one of their squad cars’ windows. All three cops dove for cover.
Other officers heard the gunfire and began chasing the gunman, who fled into a nearby home. From there, Thomas allegedly began firing at officers from a first-floor window. One officer was shot in her hand.
Thomas holed up inside the home and went on Facebook Live, where he admitted to shooting at people and pointed a chrome handgun at his own head, prosecutors said. He was taken into custody outside the home after a stand-off.
During an interview with officers, he allegedly said he shot at the Divvy biker and the car passengers to lure police to the area so he could shoot at the cops and ultimately be killed by them.
Assistant Public Defender Courtney Smallwood said she believes Thomas has on-going psychiatric issues. He has no previous violent crime convictions, she said.
Court records show Thomas received a recognizance bond for narcotics distribution charges in September 2019. He violated the terms of bail last March and was put on electronic monitoring with another recognizance bond.
In June, Judge Ursula Walowski released Thomas from electronic monitoring, and he stopped showing up for court in September, according to records. Walowski issued an arrest warrant on September 16.
Judge Arthur Willis on Sunday ordered Thomas held without bail on a bond forfeiture warrant in the pending manufacture-delivery case.
The judge also ordered Thomas held without bail on the five attempted murder counts.
- At least 32 people charged with murder in Chicago last year were free on bail at the time of the killings (January 4, 2021)
- We find another man accused of committing murder while on affordable bail in 2020 (January 9, 2021)
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)