Court update: Outcomes of some cases you read about on CWBChicago

Here are the court outcomes for some cases you may have read about on CWBChicago.

5 years for skate park body slam

A Chicago man accused of body-slamming a 64-year-old man at the Montrose Beach skate park has been sentenced to five years in prison. Noel Chavez, 36, pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated battery causing great bodily harm after reaching a deal with prosecutors.

Prosecutors said Chavez picked the victim up and slammed him to the ground during an altercation near the skate park on February 27, 2019. The attacker was gone when police arrived, but witnesses gave officers a description of the alleged attacker along with his vehicle’s make, model, and license plate number. Chavez turned himself in about a month later.

The victim suffered a thoracic spine fracture and broken ribs, according to court records.

Prosecutors dropped six additional aggravated battery counts in the agreement. Judge Timothy Joyce handed down the sentence and said Chavez would receive credit for two days he spent in jail before pleading.

Probation for Old Town shooting

An Edgewater man who was initially charged with shooting another man during a “personal dispute” in the middle of North Avenue in Old Town has pleaded guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for probation.

Juan Foster, 38, was identified as the man who fired shots from a silver Jeep Cherokee, striking an 18-year-old man as the victim walked out of a convenience store in the 200 block of West North Avenue in June 2019, police said at the time.

The victim suffered two gunshot wounds to his torso and graze wounds to his shoulder and elbow, CPD said.

Multiple witnesses provided police with the license plate of the Jeep, and a tactical team from the Wrigleyville-based 19th District was dispatched to stake out its registration address near Barry and Broadway. Foster and another person were detained when they arrived in the 400 block of West Barry less than two hours after the incident.

Prosecutors charged Foster with aggravated battery by discharge of a firearm. But a grand jury later returned charges of aggravated discharge of a firearm and unlawful use of a weapon.

Now, Foster has pleaded guilty to the aggravated discharge count in exchange for two years probation from Judge Catherine Haberkorn, court records show. Prosecutors dropped the two weapons charges as part of the deal.

7 years for firing gun at CTA station

A career felon who faced attempted murder charges for allegedly firing a gun into the Clark-Division Red Line station in June 2017 has been sentenced to seven years on a lesser count, court records show.

In the deal with prosecutors, Minor, 44, pleaded guilty to aggravated discharge of a firearm while the state dropped all other charges, including two counts of attempted murder, Class X armed habitual criminal, and being a felon in possession of a firearm, and possession of methamphetamine, records show. Judge Shelley Sutker-Dermer said Minor would receive credit for the time he was jailed before he pleaded.

Prosecutors said Minor fired two shots after getting into an argument with another man on the southwest staircase of the Near North Side train station.

After firing the gun, Minor bolted into the station and ran up the tracks all the way to the North-Clybourn station, where cops took him into custody and seized a 9-millimeter handgun that he was carrying, prosecutors said at the time.

Minor had been discharged from parole on a narcotics case just two months before the alleged shooting. He has been sent to prison for eight earlier convictions, including robbery, burglary, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and narcotics, records show.

A woman arrested in connection with the CTA station shooting was initially charged with one count of attempted murder, aggravated discharge of a firearm, and six gun felonies. But prosecutros dropped all of those charges against Felicia Groom in April 2019.

You can support CWBChicago’s start-to-finish tracking of important court cases by becoming a subscriber today!

About CWBChicago 6583 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com