Police found 55 shell casings after three men engaged in a shootout on the Diversey River Bowl’s parking lot early Tuesday, prosecutors said as they filed charges against one of the alleged shooters.
Robin Burks, 28, was on bail for a pending gun case when he allegedly exchanged fire with the other men after an argument on the parking lot at 2211 West Diversey. Burks’ pregnant girlfriend was shot in the leg during the incident, prosecutors said.
Burks is the 20th person to be accused of killing, shooting, or trying to shoot someone in Chicago this year while on bond for another felony, according to records maintained by CWBChicago.
Prosecutors said surveillance video shows Burks talking with a man on the parking lot while pointing a handgun with an extended ammunition magazine at a second man around 12:30 a.m. The other two men took cover behind a car and began shooting at Burks, prosecutors said. Burks allegedly ducked behind another car and returned fire.
After the shootout, Burks allegedly drove his 28-year-old girlfriend to Thorek Hospital to be treated for her gunshot wound. While she was in treatment, police reviewed surveillance video of the shooting and realized Burks was one of the shooters based on his clothing, hair, and other features, prosecutors said. Officers took him into custody.
Burks, sitting handcuffed in the back of a squad car outside the hospital, told a bystander he “had to put their asses in check,” prosecutors said. The squad car’s surveillance system allegedly recorded his statement.
Prosecutors charged Burks with reckless discharge of a firearm.
Defense attorney Matt Prengaman told Judge Mary Marubio that the case may be a matter of self-defense.
In January 2020, prosecutors charged Burks with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and possessing a high-capacity ammunition magazine in the West Pullman neighborhood. He was on bail for that case at the time of Tuesday’s shooting.
Marubio ordered him held without bail for violating the terms of bond in the pending case. She set bail in the new case at $50,000. If Burks becomes eligible for release, he’ll need to post $5,000 to get out of jail on electronic monitoring.
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)