A Northwest Side man shot up another car in traffic while on bail for a pending gun case, prosecutors said Wednesday. Tyreke Howard, 23, is the 21st person to be accused of killing, shooting, or trying to shoot someone in Chicago this year while on bond for another felony, according to records maintained by CWBChicago.
Police and prosecutors said the latest incident began around 2:30 p.m. on May 30 at a BP service station in Portage Park.
Howard walked up to a car at the gas station, knocked on the car’s window, opened the driver’s side door, and threatened the driver while holding his hand under his shirt as if he had a gun, Assistant State’s Attorney Darryl Auguste said. Howard
Meanwhile, the car’s passenger, who stepped inside the gas station, saw what was happening and returned to the vehicle, Auguste said. The car then drove away.
Howard allegedly climbed into a black Chevy Traverse and followed after the victims’ car. As they reached the 4800 block of North Laramie, Howard extended a gun out of his car window and began firing at the victims’ car, striking its window, hood, and rear quarter panel, Auguste said. The occupants of the car were not injured.
Police arrested Howard near his home Tuesday afternoon. He is charged with two counts of reckless discharge of a firearm and two counts of aggravated assault by discharging a firearm.
“This is extremely troubling to this court,” Judge John Lyke said of the allegations. “Bullets don’t have any eyes, and they can hit innocent people.”
Lyke set his bail at $100,000. Howard will need to post $10,000 and go on electronic monitoring to get out of jail in the new case. But Lyke also ordered him held without bail for violating the terms of bond in a pending gun case.
On April 5, police found Howard sleeping behind the wheel of a car near his home with a handgun on the passenger seat, prosecutors said during a bond court appearance the next day. The gun was not loaded, but police did find ammunition in a plastic bag, according to the allegations.
He was charged with felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and misdemeanor charges of possessing ammunition and possessing a firearm without a Firearm Owner’s ID card in that case. Judge Charles Beach set his bail at $5,000 and Howard went home by posting a $500 deposit.
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)