Prosecutors say a man who opened fire on a CTA bus driver this week after being told to wear a mask was AWOL in a felony aggravated DUI case at the time. He is the 22nd person to be accused of killing, shooting, or trying to shoot someone in Chicago this year while on bond for another felony, according to records maintained by CWBChicago.
Judge Arthur Willis ordered Fred White, 37, held without bail on a warrant in the DUI case and held without bail on new charges of attempted first-degree murder, aggravated discharge of a firearm, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, and possessing a firearm with a defaced serial number.
The bus driver told White to put on a mask as soon as he stepped aboard in the West Pullman neighborhood around 10:34 p.m. Tuesday, Assistant State’s Attorney Kevin Deboni said during a bond court hearing Thursday.
After some back-and-forth, the 41-year-old female driver stopped the bus and told White to get off because he would not put his mask on properly, Deboni said.
“B*tch, I’ll blow your f*cking head off,” White allegedly said as he stepped off the bus.
Moments after the driver closed the doors behind White, three shots were fired nearby, Deboni said. Two bullets went through the bus’ front door, he said. The third bullet missed the bus completely. Neither the driver nor her lone passenger was injured.
The shots triggered a ShotSpotter alert that brought police to the scene, according to Deboni. The officers found three casings and took White into custody. They also recovered a defaced handgun that he tossed over a fence as officers approached, Deboni said.
Surveillance video allegedly showed White was the only person outside the bus when shots were fired. But White’s public defender, who said he has eight children, argued the bullets that slammed through the bus door could have come from anywhere.
“There are massive amounts of shootings around the city every day,” the attorney told Willis. Even if White threatened to blow the driver’s head off, that doesn’t mean he fired a gun, she said.
Willis was not persuaded.
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)