Prosecutors this week charged a convicted felon with having a loaded handgun at an Englewood hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for a gunshot wound that she told police and doctors he inflicted on her.
The man, 27-year-old Charles Rounds, was on bail for two felony cases at the time of the alleged shooting — another gun case and a case that accuses him of repeatedly forcing a 15-year-old girl to have sex with him as he held her against her will for two weeks.
Rounds had paid $4,000 to get out of jail on the pending cases, prosecutors said.
Police went to St. Bernard Hospital after Rounds’ girlfriend sought help for a gunshot wound around 11 a.m. Monday, according to Assistant State’s Attorney Darryl Auguste and CPD. The woman told police and hospital workers that Rounds beat her up and shot her after an argument — and she warned that he carries a gun, Auguste said. Then, she stopped cooperating with investigators.
Cops pulled a picture of Rounds from a law enforcement database and realized he was standing in the hospital’s ambulance entrance with a white bag, Auguste said. Rounds allegedly dropped the bag and ran when police approached him. He was arrested after a short foot chase, according to Auguste.
As police walked Rounds back to the hospital, a passer-by picked up the white bag and put it into a backpack. Rounds allegedly yelled that the bag was his. Cops took the bag back from the witness and found a loaded handgun with a laser sight attached inside, Auguste said.
Prosecutors charged Rounds with being a felon in possession of a weapon and misdemeanor domestic battery. They did not charge him with shooting the woman as she refused to cooperate.
Auguste said Rounds has two pending felony cases. In one, Rounds is charged with Class X armed habitual criminal. Prosecutors said Rounds ditched a loaded handgun as police chased him on the South Side in February 2020.
At the time, he was on bond for another case in which he’s accused of holding a teenage girl against her will, abusing her, and forcing her to have sex over a period of two weeks, Auguste said.
Rounds invited the girl to his home after meeting her at a party on October 25, 2018, according to Auguste. He then held the teen against her will for two weeks, forced her to have sex three times, punched her, pulled her hair, and burned her with a cigarette lighter, Auguste said. The girl subsequently outcried to her volleyball coach and her mother, according to Auguste. She has visible burn marks and a bruised eye, he said.
According to Auguste, Rounds posted $3,000 to get out of jail on the pending charges. A judge ordered him to post an additional $1,000 recently after Will County authorities charged him with possessing a stolen ID, Auguste said.
In addition to the pending cases, Rounds has been convicted of two armed robberies — including one in which he allegedly shot at the victim but missed, according to Auguste.
Rounds’ defense attorney said he has two children with a third on the way.
Judge Susana Ortiz ordered him held without bail on the new allegations and held without bail for violating the terms of bond in his two pending cases. He will also be held in lieu of $100,000 on the Will County case, she said.
Rounds is due back in court June 30.
While Rounds is not charged with shooting his girlfriend Monday, he is the 25th person accused by prosecutors of shooting, trying to shoot, or killing someone in Chicago this year while on felony bond.
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)