Last June 30, Chicago police pursued a car allegedly used in a shooting earlier in the day. After the vehicle crashed, all of its occupants bailed out and ran. Cops arrested one of them, Angel Ayala, and allegedly found a loaded AR-15 rifle behind the seat he had been riding in.
But prosecutors declined to file a felony gun charge in the case. Instead, Ayala was charged with misdemeanor reckless conduct, and he went home from the police station on a recognizance bond, CPD records show.
Ayala, 22, went AWOL and never showed up for a single court date, prosecutors said Saturday as they charged him with shooting a tourist and murdering a passerby during last weekend’s Puerto Rican Day festivities.
Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said a carload of Milwaukee residents who came to Chicago to enjoy Puerto Rican Day was riding in the 3300 block of West North Avenue as several people walked around their car last Saturday evening.
Ayala, wearing a purple sweatshirt, white pants, and sporting “poofy hair,” threw up Latin King hand gestures and demanded to know where the carload of Milwaukeeans was from, Murphy said.
The 20-year-old then pulled out a gun and began shooting at the visitors’ car, striking a 23-year-old male passenger in the thigh, according to Murphy.
Another round flew across the street and struck 37-year-old Nichole Osborne in her back as she walked with her husband, Murphy said. Osborne instantly fell to the ground.
Osborne’s husband, Brenndon Struk, wrote a detailed account of her slaying on GoFundMe this week.
“I stopped talking with 911 and held Nichole’s cheek and asked basic questions. She wasn’t responding. I started to panic, so I asked her to say anything. I cupped her cheek with my only free hand and looked her in the eyes…that’s when I lost it. Her eyes had lost focus and she wasn’t moving,” Struk wrote.
“Baby say anything, just speak to me. Stay with me please! I love you”. I saw her mouth moving, but nothing was coming out.”
His wife died. The other victim survived, but he still has the bullet stuck in his leg, according to Murphy.
The shooting was captured on video, and Ayala is “clearly visible” on the footage, Murphy said. Detectives recognized Ayala in the footage and tried to arrest him Monday, but he allegedly sped away from them. They caught up with him Thursday as he allegedly tried to crawl out of a window at his Blue Island home.
Ayala admitted to shooting the gun but said the people in the car shot at him first, Murphy said. But the video footage does not support his claim, the veteran prosecutor alleged.
Ayala, who was convicted of aggravated battery in 2019, was also charged with carjacking in 2018, court records show. He’s now charged with first-degree murder and four counts of attempted first-degree murder.
A public defender said Ayala just started a new job at an airport, but he didn’t say which one.
Judge Charles Beach ordered Ayala held without bail.
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)