A 20-year-old man who killed his girlfriend and then fatally shot himself last month was on bail for two separate felony gun charges, according to court records and Chicago Police Supt. David Brown. And, records show, he was on electronic monitoring for one of the cases.
Brown, speaking to the City Council on Friday, used the murder-suicide as an example of violent crime committed in the city by people who, he argued, should be in custody.
Dominique Johnson and his girlfriend, Shanal Guy, were found dead in Woodlawn around 5:40 p.m. June 21. The medical examiner’s office ruled Guy’s death a homicide and Johnson’s death a suicide. Johnson had two pending felony gun cases in Cook County under the name Dominiko Johnson, according to a law enforcement source.
In one case, filed January 23, police allegedly saw a gun under Johnson’s feet when they pulled over a car he was riding in for a traffic stop.
Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.
Judge David Navarro set his bail at $50,000 the next day and ordered Johnson held without bail for violating the terms of bond in his other pending gun case, which was filed in April 2020.
Navarro was also the judge who set bond in the earlier gun case. On April 9, 2020, Navarro let Johnson go home on his own recognizance after prosecutors charged him with felony unlawful use of a weapon, according to records maintained by the office of the Cook County public defender.
Of course, Johnson will not be charged with the murder of his girlfriend. But he is the 26th person that authorities have accused of killing, shooting, or trying to kill someone in Chicago this year while on bond for felonies.
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say