A Chicago man on bail for a felony auto theft case shot and killed another driver who bumped into his car on the South Side earlier this month, prosecutors said Saturday. Angelo Baldwin, 21, is the 28th person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while awaiting trial for another felony.
Prosecutors laid out the allegations against Baldwin less than two hours after the 27th person was accused in a separate murder case.
Shortly before 1 a.m on July 1, 20-year-old Dayvon Snell was driving home with his girlfriend after attending a family birthday party when he sideswiped Baldwin’s car on southbound I-57 near Halsted, Assistant State’s Attorney Amanda Bielinski said.
Both men pulled over, and they decided not to get the police involved. Instead, Snell agreed to pay Baldwin cash from his wallet for the damages, according to Bielinski.
After making the payment, Snell settled into his driver’s seat and prepared to continue driving home with his girlfriend. But Baldwin had another idea, according to Bielinski.
He pulled out a gun and walked up to Snell’s driver’s door.
“I want it all,” Baldwin allegedly said.
Snell pressed the accelerator to get away. Baldwin allegedly fired one shot. The bullet flew through Snell’s arm, pierced his lung, and lodged in his chest, Bielinski said. His car rolled down the interstate and crashed near Halsted Street. A witness tried to save him by administering CPR, but Snell died a short time later at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
“Killing him over a sideswipe. Utterly ridiculous,” Judge John Lyke said after hearing the allegations. “This defendant is still presumed innocent, nonetheless.”
Police allegedly found Snell’s wallet lying on the side of the highway where Baldwin’s car had been parked. Multiple license plate readers recorded Baldwin’s car near the murder scene, Bielinski said.
Snells’ girlfriend allegedly identified Baldwin in a photo line-up, and an arrest warrant was issued. He was arrested on the warrant during a traffic stop in Tennessee. He admitted to shooting Snell during a post-arrest interview, Bielinski said.
In addition to the stolen motor vehicle case that’s pending in Cook County, Baldwin also has a gun possession case pending in Indiana, according to Bielinski.
Judge Lyke ordered him held without bail.
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)