When Christopher Solis-Govea appeared in felony bond court on January 5 after police allegedly caught him running from a stolen car with a loaded handgun, Judge Susana Ortiz had some stern words for the 18-year-old.
“I find someone of your age allegedly in possession of a loaded firearm constitutes a danger to themselves and the community as well,” the judge said, warning of “lifelong consequences should that firearm discharge.”
Four days later, Solis-Govea went home on electronic monitoring after posting a $1,000 bail deposit. Authorities declared him AWOL from electronic monitoring three days later and a judge issued an arrest warrant for escape on January 15, according to the Cook County sheriff’s office.
Solis-Govea remained at large until Tuesday, when CPD’s fugitive apprehension unit arrested him for allegedly shooting a man in the face on March 3 — almost exactly two months after Judge Ortiz lectured him about the potential consequences of firing a gun.
He is now the 29th person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while awaiting trial for another felony.
Around 5:20 p.m. on March 3, Solis-Govea and his pregnant girlfriend were walking in the Gage Park neighborhood when the passenger of a passing car rolled down their window and yelled something to the woman, Assistant State’s Attorney Gail Bembnister said Thursday.
The car’s driver pulled into his nearby destination, a gas station on 2700 block of West 51st Street, and got out of his car while his passenger remained seated.
That’s when Solis-Govea walked up to the passenger side of the car, pulled out a gun, and shot the passenger in his face, Bembnister said. Other than the passing comment the victim allegedly made to Solis-Govea’s girlfriend minutes earlier, they had never met before, Bembnister continued.
Solis-Govea allegedly fled. The car’s driver took the victim to a hospital. Bembnister said the bullet entered the victim’s left cheek and fractured his jaw. The bullet is still lodged in the man’s face. He’s scheduled for surgery in October, she said.
Detectives distributed surveillance images of the gunman to local cops and “multiple” Chicago police officers recognized Solis-Govea, Bembnister said. His mugshot was included in a photo line-up and the car’s driver picked him out him as the shooter, according to Bembnister. Solis-Govea’s girlfriend allegedly identified herself and Solis-Govea in surveillance images that showed the couple walking together before the shooting.
Assistant Public Defender Susan Barber said Solis-Govea lives with his now-fiancee and their child is due within a month.
Judge Arthur Willis ordered Solis-Govea held without bail on a charge of attempted murder. He also held Solis-Govea without bail for violating the terms of bond in the January gun case and held without bail on an escape warrant.
Solis-Govea is due back in court Friday.
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)