#29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say

When Christopher Solis-Govea appeared in felony bond court on January 5 after police allegedly caught him running from a stolen car with a loaded handgun, Judge Susana Ortiz had some stern words for the 18-year-old.

“I find someone of your age allegedly in possession of a loaded firearm constitutes a danger to themselves and the community as well,” the judge said, warning of “lifelong consequences should that firearm discharge.”

Four days later, Solis-Govea went home on electronic monitoring after posting a $1,000 bail deposit. Authorities declared him AWOL from electronic monitoring three days later and a judge issued an arrest warrant for escape on January 15, according to the Cook County sheriff’s office.

Solis-Govea remained at large until Tuesday, when CPD’s fugitive apprehension unit arrested him for allegedly shooting a man in the face on March 3 — almost exactly two months after Judge Ortiz lectured him about the potential consequences of firing a gun.

He is now the 29th person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while awaiting trial for another felony.

Around 5:20 p.m. on March 3, Solis-Govea and his pregnant girlfriend were walking in the Gage Park neighborhood when the passenger of a passing car rolled down their window and yelled something to the woman, Assistant State’s Attorney Gail Bembnister said Thursday.

The car’s driver pulled into his nearby destination, a gas station on 2700 block of West 51st Street, and got out of his car while his passenger remained seated.

That’s when Solis-Govea walked up to the passenger side of the car, pulled out a gun, and shot the passenger in his face, Bembnister said. Other than the passing comment the victim allegedly made to Solis-Govea’s girlfriend minutes earlier, they had never met before, Bembnister continued.

Solis-Govea allegedly fled. The car’s driver took the victim to a hospital. Bembnister said the bullet entered the victim’s left cheek and fractured his jaw. The bullet is still lodged in the man’s face. He’s scheduled for surgery in October, she said.

Detectives distributed surveillance images of the gunman to local cops and “multiple” Chicago police officers recognized Solis-Govea, Bembnister said. His mugshot was included in a photo line-up and the car’s driver picked him out him as the shooter, according to Bembnister. Solis-Govea’s girlfriend allegedly identified herself and Solis-Govea in surveillance images that showed the couple walking together before the shooting.

Assistant Public Defender Susan Barber said Solis-Govea lives with his now-fiancee and their child is due within a month.

Judge Arthur Willis ordered Solis-Govea held without bail on a charge of attempted murder. He also held Solis-Govea without bail for violating the terms of bond in the January gun case and held without bail on an escape warrant.

Solis-Govea is due back in court Friday.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

About CWBChicago 6563 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com