A man who was on probation for burglary and on bond for allegedly being a felon in possession of a firearm shot two victims in separate robberies less than an hour apart earlier this month, prosecutors said Sunday. Jerome Powell, 23, is now the 31st person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while awaiting trial for another felony.
Around 11:30 p.m. on July 14, a man and woman were sitting in a car in Chinatown when four men ran up to their vehicle, and a gray Dodge Durango pulled in front of them. What happened next was captured on surveillance footage that originally appeared on the @CPD1617Scanner Twitter account:
Assistant State’s Attorney Carolyn Nevin said Powell is the man who leaned in the passenger door, pointed a gun at the driver’s face, and eventually fired a shot that struck the driver in the hand. Other crew members allegedly demanded the victims’ valuables, but they couldn’t understand what the robbers were saying because the victims only speak Mandarin, Nevin said.
Powell would later admit to “shooting at the Chinese man” because he was “trying to scare the Chinese man,” Nevin continued. The victim’s dashcam also recorded the entire robbery, and Powell’s face is clearly visible, according to Nevin.
About 45 minutes later, a gray Dodge Durango blocked a woman in as she used a bank’s drive-up ATM on the South Side. Powell stepped out of the SUV and ordered the woman from her car while pointing a gun at her, Nevin said. But the woman couldn’t open her door because she was too close to the ATM. She started to back up so she could get out.
According to Nevin, Powell suddenly fired a bullet into the car that slammed into the back of the dashboard and caused the speedometer glass to shatter in the woman’s face. Powell and another robber ran from the scene while a third offender drove away in the Durango, she said. The woman was not seriously injured.
Police found a wallet lying on the pavement near the bank ATM. It belonged to the victim that Powell shot in Chinatown minutes earlier, according to Nevin. Bank surveillance cameras allegedly recorded the second hold-up and shooting.
Powell later admitted to shooting into the woman’s car because he was “trying to get her to stop,” Nevins said. He allegedly told investigators that he was sorry.
Detectives pieced the case together through a third incident: About nine hours after the bank shooting, police who responded to a car crash saw four men run from the wrecked vehicle, Nevin said. Powell was allegedly one of the three men cops caught. Cops had no reason to arrest Powell, and he was sent on his way.
But the interaction was captured on officers’ bodyworn cameras and dash cameras, Nevins said. Detectives eventually used those videos along with footage from the other two robberies to build their case against Powell, according to Nevins.
They arrested him Friday.
He’s charged with two counts of aggravated battery by discharging a firearm, armed robbery, and attempted vehicular hijacking. Back in February, Powell was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and two counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon while he was on probation for a burglary case, according to court records.
Judge Arthur Willis ordered Powell held without bail on the new charges, held without bail for violating his probation, and held without bail for violating the terms of bond in the February gun case.
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)