Prosecutors on Tuesday charged a 17-year-old with shooting a man to death after the victim bumped into his friend on a sidewalk. The teen, Jaebrel Miles, had a felony gun case pending in juvenile court at the time of the alleged murder, making him the 32nd person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while awaiting trial for another felony.
“This encounter that starts out as a bumping shoulders turns into the victim being shot at that gas station multiple times,” Judge David Navarro summarized before ordering Miles held without bail Tuesday afternoon.
Assistant State’s Attorney Kevin Deboni said Miles and a witness walked to a gas station on the 8300 block of South Stony Island to pick up some snacks around 11:30 a.m. on May 28. As they walked back to the house where they had been hanging out, 26-year-old Jeffrey King bumped into the witness on a sidewalk near the gas station, Deboni said.
Miles, King, and the witness allegedly exchanged words then went their separate ways. King went into the gas station. Miles and the witness ran back to the house, where a third person joined them, Deboni said.
The witness went to his room, but he soon heard a door slam and allegedly saw the third person and Miles running down the street. He ran after them. As he neared the gas station, he heard several gunshots and ran back home, Deboni said.
Surveillance video showed Miles and the third person went inside the gas station to confront King, Deboni said. The third person punched King in the face. Then, Miles took out a gun and began firing over the third person’s shoulder toward King, Deboni said. The third person ducked, took out his own gun, and also shot at King, according to Deboni.
King suffered multiple gunshot wounds and died.
The witness identified Miles for police and the second gunman remains at large, Deboni said.
Police caught up with Miles this week as he rode in the back seat of a Lyft, according to Deboni. The cops who arrested him allegedly found a loaded handgun with a defaced serial number under the seat in front of him. Police also found baggies containing heroin, crack, and ecstasy in his bag, Deboni said. The gun police allegedly found is the same caliber as one of the weapons used to shoot King.
Miles’ defense attorney said he is a high school junior, and he competes on the swim team.
He is charged with first-degree murder, possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number, and two felony narcotics charges.
Editor’s note: This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to kill a person while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)