A man who was AWOL in a felony stolen motor vehicle case followed a 61-year-old woman into a Lincoln Park store and tried to kill her with his bare hands Tuesday afternoon, prosecutors said. Kenyante Jackson is the 34th person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while on felony bond.
Prosecutors said the victim, who had never seen Jackson before in her life, was walking to a bus stop on the 2700 block of North Clark when she noticed him standing in front of a CTA bus, blocking its path. As she continued walking, the woman noticed Jackson was walking next to her, and he picked up speed when she tried to out-pace him, according to prosecutors.
The woman decided to go inside a clothing store on the 2700 block of North Clark to get away from him. But Jackson allegedly followed her inside and yelled that he was going to kill her.
With several employees and witnesses watching, Jackson put his arm around the woman’s neck and slammed into a wall, prosecutors said. Still choking the woman, Jackson allegedly dragged her behind the store’s counter by her neck. They fell into a display, then slammed onto the ground, where Jackson wrapped his legs around the woman as he continued choking her with his arm, prosecutors said.
When a metal bar fell from a nearby shelf, Jackson grabbed the bar and pressed it against the woman’s throat as the woman struggled to get away, according to prosecutors.
The attack, which was recorded by surveillance cameras, lasted eight minutes, prosecutors said Thursday. A witness eventually pried Jackson’s arms and legs from around the woman, allowing her to escape, according to the allegations. The witness then held Jackson down until police arrived.
Prosecutors charged Jackson with attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery of a victim over the age of 60.
Last September, Jackson posted a $200 deposit to get out of jail after prosecutors charged him with driving a car that had been stolen from a woman at a West Loop hotel, records show. A warrant was issued for his arrest in May after he stopped showing up for court in the case.
Also in May, Jackson was charged with misdemeanor battery after he allegedly kicked down an apartment door in Rogers Park and battered the person who lives inside. Prosecutors subsequently dropped the case.
He has two previous adult felony convictions for robbery and a juvenile conviction for burglary, prosecutors said.
Assistant Public Defender Genevieve O’Toole said Jackson vehemently denies that he tried to kill the woman Tuesday. In fact, O’Toole said, Jackson claims he was sleeping on a bus stop bench when police arrested him.
Judge Charles Beach ordered him held without bail for the alleged attack and also held without bail in the stolen motor vehicle case. Jackson’s next court date for the attempted murder case is August 18.
Editor’s note: This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to kill a person while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)
- #32: Teen with pending felony gun case shot man dead over shoulder bump, prosecutors say (July 28, 2021)
- #33: Gunman in mass shooting was on $200 bond for pending firearms case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)