A man with a pending felony gun case shot and killed another man in cold blood earlier this year, prosecutors said Thursday. When police arrested Larry Hogan this week to face murder charges, he allegedly had a handgun capable of generating automatic gunfire and a 50-round drum-style ammunition magazine in his backpack. He is the 35th person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while on felony bond.
Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said the victim, 21-year-old Gerald Kates, was walking home on the 6300 block of South Artesian at 10:49 on January 7 when Hogan walked up, extended his arm, and shot him three times. Kates, shot in the back, buttocks, and the back of his right thigh, died.
Kates’ stepfather and sister heard the gunfire, and the stepfather looked out a window in time to see Hogan holding an object inside his pocket, Murphy said.
The stepfather shouted out that Hogan had shot Kates and Kates’ sister ran to the window in time to see Hogan running away.
Both witnesses saw Hogan daily around the neighborhood, according to Murphy. A third witness who looked outside after hearing gunfire also reported seeing Hogan run down an alley.
Murphy said the shooting was captured on video, but the gunman’s face is not visible in the footage. However, the killer’s clothing — torn jeans, black sneakers, and a black hooded jacket worn over a white hoodie — were identical to the clothes Hogan wore to a nearby sandwich shop about 25 minutes before the murder, Murphy said, citing surveillance video. Other videos allegedly show Hogan running from the murder scene to his home about three blocks away.
Hogan, 20, posted a $100 deposit to get out of jail after prosecutors charged him with unlawful use of a weapon in January 2020. He stopped showing up for court hearings after the murder, court records show.
Police arrested Hogan Tuesday. He shoved them, tried to escape, and repeatedly tried to grab a gun out of his backpack as he struggled with officers, Murphy said. One officer reportedly suffered a broken hand during the struggle. Another cop punched Hogan in the face so they could get him into custody.
Murphy said the gun Hogan was reaching for, a handgun equipped with an after-market device that allows it to spray automatic gunfire, was equipped with a holographic sight and a 50-round ammunition magazine.
Prosecutors charged Hogan with first-degree murder, unlawful use of a machine gun, aggravated battery of police, and resisting.
Judge Arthur Willis ordered Hogan held without bail on the murder charge and held without bail for violating bond in the 2020 gun case. Willis set bail on the machine gun and related charges at $250,000. He said Hogan would have to go onto electronic monitoring should he become eligible for release.
Editor’s note: This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to kill a person while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)
- #32: Teen with pending felony gun case shot man dead over shoulder bump, prosecutors say (July 28, 2021)
- #33: Gunman in mass shooting was on $200 bond for pending firearms case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #34: Man tried to kill stranger during 8-minute random attack inside Lincoln Park store, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)