A Chicago man who opened fire on an Uber Eats delivery driver in a completely random attack this week was on bail while awaiting trial for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors said Saturday. Kye Griffin, 27, is now the 36th person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while on felony bond.
The victim, 26, drove to an address on the 10100 block of South Oglesby to make a food delivery around 4:36 p.m. Wednesday, prosecutors said. No one answered the door when he tried to complete the order, so he began walking back to his car.
As he did, Griffin rolled by in a gray car and opened fire on the victim, whom he had never met before, according to prosecutors.
“It’s just a random person. He’s trying to work,” an assistant state’s attorney said during Griffin’s bond hearing.
One bullet struck the victim in his stomach and exited through his buttocks, the prosecutor said. After being shot, the man ran into an alley and called 911 with a description of the shooter.
Police arrived in about a minute and saw Griffin, who matched the description, walking away quickly, prosecutors said. When cops asked Griffin if he saw anything, he allegedly ran.
He was carrying a handgun when cops caught up with him, prosecutors said. Tests allegedly determined that shell casings found at the shooting scene and in a stolen gray car that was abandoned nearby were discharged by Griffin’s gun.
Prosecutors said Griffin tried to urinate on his hands while in police custody, a technique suspected shooters often use to wash gunshot residue from their hands.
The Uber Eats driver was listed in critical condition after the shooting, police said. But he was able to pick Griffin out of a photo line-up, according to prosecutors.
Griffin is charged with attempted first-degree murder, armed habitual criminal, and aggravated battery with a firearm. He was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm in November and posted $1,000 to get out of jail after appearing before Judge David Navarro, court records show. In addition to the pending case, he received a three-year sentence for being a felon in possession of a firearm in 2014. His other felony convictions include aggravated battery of a peace officer and possession of a controlled substance.
A public defender said Griffin lives in Bellwood and has four children with a fifth on the way. The attorney said he has a metal rod in his leg because he was once shot 11 times.
Judge Susana Ortiz ordered Griffin held without bail in the new case and held without bail for violating the terms of bond in the November gun case.
Editor’s note: This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to kill a person while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.
The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people on felony bail is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has made arrests in just 4% of shootings and 31% of murders, according to the city’s data. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)
- #32: Teen with pending felony gun case shot man dead over shoulder bump, prosecutors say (July 28, 2021)
- #33: Gunman in mass shooting was on $200 bond for pending firearms case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #34: Man tried to kill stranger during 8-minute random attack inside Lincoln Park store, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #35: Man murdered another in cold blood while on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)