Prosecutors on Tuesday accused an Englewood man of fatally shooting another man at point-blank range outside a laundromat in April. A bystander was also shot, but survived, according to the allegations.
Cory Wilson, 29, was on bail for a pending charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm and narcotics distribution at the time of the alleged shooting. He is the 38th person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while on felony bond.
The victim, 35-year-old Ricky Shipman, frequently sold weed in a laundromat parking lot on 1500 block of West Garfield, Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said Tuesday. Around 10:30 p.m. on April 5, he was sitting in his car on the lot with his girlfriend and 11-month-old baby in another car next to him.
Surveillance videos allegedly show Wilson parking his SUV on a side street, walking into the laundromat, and then walking out a few minutes later. Then, he stepped up to Shipman’s driver’s side window and opened fire, Murphy said. Shipman was shot eight times and died.
Wilson ran away, turning at one point to fire more shots, according to Murphy. One of those bullets allegedly struck a 38-year-old bystander in the ankle. Wilson got back into his SUV and drove away, Murphy said.
Wilson’s license plate was picked up on CPD cameras and clothing identical to the gunman’s was found in his car when police located it the next day, according to Murphy. Police allegedly determined that Wilson’s phone was near the shooting scene at the time of the murder.
When police arrested Wilson on Monday, he was carrying a satchel that contained 26 baggies of cocaine, eight suspected ecstasy pills, and $1,095 cash, Murphy said. He was also carrying a phone with a distinctive red case that allegedly matches one that the gunman carried.
He’s now charged with first-degree murder, aggravated battery by discharge of a firearm, and three felony counts of possession of a controlled substance.
Wilson’s already-pending case involves six felony gun counts as well as felony manufacture-delivery of cocaine and manufacture-delivery of cocaine, according to court records. He posted $2,000 to get out of jail. Murphy said he received a nine-year sentence for an armed carjacking in 2011.
Assistant Public Defender Ryan Carlson said Wilson has four children and lives with his fiancee.
Judge Charles Beach pointed to the reliability of video footage and the presence of Wilson’s vehicle at the shooting scene among other alleged pieces of evidence as he ordered Wilson held without bail on the new charges.
Beach also ordered Wilson held without bail for violating the terms of his release in the pending case.
Editor’s note: This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to kill a person while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.
The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people on felony bail is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has made arrests in just 4% of shootings and 31% of murders, according to the city’s data. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)
- #32: Teen with pending felony gun case shot man dead over shoulder bump, prosecutors say (July 28, 2021)
- #33: Gunman in mass shooting was on $200 bond for pending firearms case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #34: Man tried to kill stranger during 8-minute random attack inside Lincoln Park store, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #35: Man murdered another in cold blood while on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #36: Uber Eats driver was gunned down in random attack by man who’s on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 14, 2021)
- #37: Man’s charged with trying to kill 2 cops while on a recognizance bond for injuring 2 cops who tried to arrest him in March (August 19, 2021)