Police are warning Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and Logan Square residents after an armed robbery crew swept through the neighborhoods to commit hold-ups and carjackings early Sunday and again early Monday. On Saturday, nine people were robbed, and a tenth person was carjacked during a 30-minute robbery spree in Lakeview.
CPD issued a community alert Monday to warn about Sunday and Monday’s crimes. In the alert, police said an armed robbery crew uses carjacked vehicles to carry out robberies and additional hijackings in the area. The alert links six cases from Sunday and Monday to the crew:
- At 1:58 a.m. Sunday, a driver got out of his car on the 900 block of West Belmont and was pushed to the ground by a masked man who took his gray Honda Accord, according to a CPD report.
- At 5 a.m. Sunday, two men were robbed by two offenders outside the Century Mall, 2828 North Clark, a CPD report said. The offenders are believed to have fled in the car that was taken earlier on Belmont.
- Around 5:25 a.m. Sunday, two of the offenders robbed two victims on the 2100 block of North Ashland, another report said.
- Five minutes later, they struck again on the 1800 block of West Webster, according to the alert.
- At 12:01 a.m. Monday, two victims were robbed by three men in ski masks who all displayed handguns on the 1500 block of West Montana, according to a police report.
- A woman was carjacked of her white 2017 Mercedes sedan by armed men on the 1400 block of West Diversey around 12:15 a.m. Monday.
According to the alert, the suspects are Black males between 15- and 30-years-old who wear dark, white, and red hoodies, red and black skull caps, and surgical masks or ski masks.
Anyone with information about the robbers can contact Area Three detectives at 312-744-8263 about crime pattern 21-CWP-021.
As CWBChicago reported over the weekend, armed men swept across Lakeview early Saturday, leaving nine robbery victims and a separate carjacking victim in their wake, according to Chicago police. Start-to-finish, the crime wave lasted about 30 minutes.
You can read more about that spree, which sparked a separate CPD community alert, here.