Mag Mile worker, 73, hospitalized after shoplifting crew knocks him to ground

A 73-year-old man was hospitalized after a shoplifting mob knocked him to the ground while stealing purses from a high-end Mag Mile retailer Saturday afternoon, according to a CPD report. It’s the latest in a series of similar crimes by theft teams that are targeting expensive boutiques along Michigan Avenue and Rush Street.

At 4:53 p.m. Saturday, four men entered a store on the 600 block of North Michigan, and two of the offenders grabbed items from the shelves, Officer Jessica Rocco said. A CPD report identifies the store as Salvatore Ferragamo, 645 North Michigan. It said the crew stole purses, and the victim was working as a security guard.

A 73-year-old store employee hit his head when the crew knocked him to the ground, Rocco said. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital with bleeding in the ear, she said.

The four thieves fled in a white SUV.

On Saturday evening, CWBChicago reported that police were hunting for an increasingly aggressive shoplifting crew that is stealing purses from high-end retailers downtown. The Salvatore Ferragamo incident was the fourth in less than a week.

The crew raided DIOR, 931 North Rush, around 12:30 p.m. last Sunday, August 15. Between six and eight thieves ran into the store, snatched expensive handbags, and ran to two cars that were waiting outside: a four-door gray Audi A7 and a silver Jeep with Minnesota license plates. Both cars are believed to be stolen.

On Monday, August 16, the same cars pulled up to Ikram at 15 East Huron just before 3 p.m. Seven would-be offenders tried to get into the store, but the staff refused to let them in. So, the group pepper-sprayed a nearby maintenance worker and sped away.

Less than 30 minutes later, they hit the Gucci store at 900 North Michigan. According to a CPD report, seven or eight men entered the shop, smashed glass cases, and fled in the Jeep and Audi.

CPD issued two warnings about the group earlier this summer — once in late June and again in early July — but another community alert is expected soon, a source said.

Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please make a contribution to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6708 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com