In our ongoing coverage of people who’ve been charged with shooting, killing, or trying to kill people in Chicago while on felony bond, Simmie Morris claims a special place.
Today, he becomes the 41st person accused of committing such a crime in 2020 and the 39th person accused of doing it in 2021. Here’s how it played out.
On December 19, Morris was AWOL on recognizance bonds for residential burglary and possessing a stolen motor vehicle when he and another man allegedly tried to rob two people at a gas station in Washington Park. Prosecutors said Morris pointed a gun at the victims while the accomplice told them to “give up your sh*t” and tried to get into their car.
But one of the victims drove off with the vehicle, causing the accomplice to fall out. Morris, prosecutors said, opened fire on the car. One round went through the front passenger window, but neither victim was injured, according to the allegations.
Video shows Morris, 19, wearing distinctive clothing and jewelry while firing the gun, prosecutors said. Detectives would later identify Morris by matching the clothes and jewelry to items he was seen wearing in an Instagram post, according to prosecutors.
Morris was still on the loose when the new year rang in. And, six days later, Morris allegedly opened fire on another driver as they traveled on the Dan Ryan Expressway near 67th Street.
The other driver was not injured, but Morris allegedly crashed his car and fled the scene. Illinois State Police troopers arrested him when he showed up at a hospital for treatment of a relatively minor gunshot wound.
Prosecutors initially charged him with aggravated discharge of a firearm for the expressway incident. The case has now been upgraded to attempted murder. Prosecutors subsequently charged him with aggravated discharge of a firearm and unlawful use of a weapon in the gas station incident, too.
Morris was convicted of aggravated battery as a juvenile three times — twice in 2015 and once in 2016, prosecutors said.
He is being held without bail.
Editor’s note: This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to kill a person while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.
The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people on felony bail is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has made arrests in just 4% of shootings and 31% of murders, according to the city’s data. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)
- #32: Teen with pending felony gun case shot man dead over shoulder bump, prosecutors say (July 28, 2021)
- #33: Gunman in mass shooting was on $200 bond for pending firearms case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #34: Man tried to kill stranger during 8-minute random attack inside Lincoln Park store, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #35: Man murdered another in cold blood while on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #36: Uber Eats driver was gunned down in random attack by man who’s on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 14, 2021)
- #37: Man’s charged with trying to kill 2 cops while on a recognizance bond for injuring 2 cops who tried to arrest him in March (August 19, 2021)
- #38: Man killed one, shot another while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (August 25, 2021)