A chef who is awaiting trial for allegedly stabbing his own brother to death is now charged with slashing the throat of a friend who visited his home to give him a morale boost this week. Nestor Soto, age 42, is the 40th person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while on felony bond.
Nearly four years ago, prosecutors charged Soto with killing his 25-year-old brother, Ivens, in the brother’s suburban home after they spent the night drinking. When Forest Park police arrived, they found Nestor Soto making whimpering noises, but shedding no tears, as he stood in blood-caked clothing, Assistant State’s Attorney Lorraine Scaduto said.
Officers reportedly found Ivens Soto lying on top of a knife in the kitchen atop dark and dried blood.
Soto, who was the owner of Whistle Pig restaurant in Bucktown at the time, posted a $25,000 cash bond to go home on electronic monitoring.
While fighting the murder case, Soto lost his job and his wife and children left him, Scadutto said. On Tuesday evening, a long-time friend of Soto’s picked up a case of beer and bottles of rum and vodka, then went to Soto’s Portage Park home to lift his spirits, according to Scadutto.
The men talked and drank for several hours until around 3 a.m. Wednesday when, while seated in the kitchen, Soto allegedly asked the friend for his thoughts about the pending murder case.
Scadutto said the victim told Soto that he thought Soto was guilty.
Soto stared at the man for several moments, got up, walked behind the man, and slashed him under the chin with a knife that he pulled a cutlery set, Scadutto said. Soto then swung the knife and sliced the man from the back of his neck across his throat, and to his collar bone, according to Scadutto.
The man put his hands up, but Soto allegedly continued to swing the knife at him, cutting both of the man’s hands.
Scadutto said the victim ran from Soto’s house, fell down the stairs, and ran into a nearby street where a CPD patrol car happened to be passing by. The officers applied QuikClot bandages and pressure to slow the man’s blood loss until an ambulance arrived.
Doctors told police the cut to the man’s neck stretched seven or eight inches and he will be scarred for life, Scadutto said.
Officers arrested Soto at his home on the 4900 block of West Irving Park shortly after the alleged attack.
Private defense attorney Steven Fine claimed the victim actually attacked Soto and said Soto suffered cuts to his arms and hands during the incident. Fine also said Soto denies allegations that he killed his brother.
Judge Arthur Willis ordered Soto held without bail on the new charges. He also held Soto without bail for violating the terms of bond in the murder case.
Editor’s note: This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to kill a person while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.
The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people on felony bail is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has made arrests in just 4% of shootings and 31% of murders, according to the city’s data. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)
- #32: Teen with pending felony gun case shot man dead over shoulder bump, prosecutors say (July 28, 2021)
- #33: Gunman in mass shooting was on $200 bond for pending firearms case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #34: Man tried to kill stranger during 8-minute random attack inside Lincoln Park store, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #35: Man murdered another in cold blood while on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #36: Uber Eats driver was gunned down in random attack by man who’s on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 14, 2021)
- #37: Man’s charged with trying to kill 2 cops while on a recognizance bond for injuring 2 cops who tried to arrest him in March (August 19, 2021)
- #38: Man killed one, shot another while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (August 25, 2021)
- #39 – Man’s charged with two separate shootings while AWOL on burglary charge (September 8, 2021)