We tried to put a positive spin on things after Antwan Carter was charged with aggravated DUI and reckless driving in June — while on bond for attempted murder.
“At least he’s not accused of having a gun,” we said.
Well, that changed on Saturday when prosecutors accused Carter of shooting four people, killing one, as they rode on the Eisenhower Expressway in April. And, yes, he was also on bond for attempted murder at the time.
Carter is the 42nd person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while on felony bond.
About a year ago, Carter’s girlfriend posted a $10,000 cash deposit to get him out of jail to await trial in a 2018 attempted murder case, according to court records. Carter had been held on a higher bail since October 2018, but a judge agreed to reduce his bail amount in August 2020 after his defense attorney filed a motion citing COVID-19 pandemic dangers inside Cook County jail, records show.
On April 12, 32-year-old Carter was with three other people in a red Dodge Durango that followed a carload of people from a nightclub in south suburban Harvey, prosecutors said Saturday. Just after midnight, as the cars neared Ashland Avenue on the Eisenhower Expressway, shooters from the Durango opened fire on the victims’ car.
The 22-year-old driver was shot in the head and died. Three of his passengers were also shot but survived. A fourth passenger was not injured.
The victims’ car crashed nearby, and the Durango also crashed near Damen Avenue, prosecutors said. Surveillance video shows four people running from the Durango and hiding in alleys and porches on nearby side streets.
One video shows Carter hiding on the 100 block of South Paulina, prosecutors said. Other videos allegedly show Carter’s girlfriend leaving her home and picking him up from his hiding spot.
State police investigators recovered an AK47-style rifle from the Durango. Casings from rifle fire and a handgun were found at the shooting scene. According to prosecutors, Carter’s fingerprint was found on the front passenger door, and his DNA was among four profiles recovered from the rifle’s trigger and grip.
Troopers also found three phones in the Durango. Carter’s DNA was allegedly on two of them, including one that contained photos of traffic violations issued to him and photos of a rifle similar to the one found in the Durango, prosecutors said. Also allegedly on the phone were screenshots of a COVID relief application and a loan application, both in Carter’s name, as well as a copy of the electronic monitoring agreement he entered into after being charged with DUI in June.
Investigators used GPS data to determine that someone used the phone to Google the club where the Durango was seen trailing the victims’ car, and GPS data showed the phone was at the club, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors charged Carter with first-degree murder and three counts of attempted first-degree murder.
Assistant Public Defender Courtney Smallwood argued that just because he was at the same club as the victims does not mean he’s responsible for shooting them. She said he has two children and his girlfriend is pregnant.
Judge Arthur Willis set bail at $1 million and ordered Carter held without bail for violating the terms of bond in the pending attempted murder case.
Editor’s note: This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to kill a person while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.
The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people on felony bail is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has made arrests in just 4% of shootings and 31% of murders, according to the city’s data. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)
- #32: Teen with pending felony gun case shot man dead over shoulder bump, prosecutors say (July 28, 2021)
- #33: Gunman in mass shooting was on $200 bond for pending firearms case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #34: Man tried to kill stranger during 8-minute random attack inside Lincoln Park store, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #35: Man murdered another in cold blood while on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #36: Uber Eats driver was gunned down in random attack by man who’s on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 14, 2021)
- #37: Man’s charged with trying to kill 2 cops while on a recognizance bond for injuring 2 cops who tried to arrest him in March (August 19, 2021)
- #38: Man killed one, shot another while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (August 25, 2021)
- #39 – Man’s charged with two separate shootings while AWOL on burglary charge (September 8, 2021)
- #40: Chef is accused of slashing friend’s throat while on bond for allegedly stabbing his own brother to death (September 9, 2021)
- #41: Man charged with firing 14 shots during carjacking — while on recognizance bond for stolen car case (February 10, 2021)