*Another* shooting downtown Sunday morning — the Loop’s 25th of the year

A 27-year-old woman is being questioned after a man was found shot in the Loop around 8:10 a.m. Sunday morning, according to Chicago police and a source. The woman, who lists a Rockford address and reportedly admitted to shooting the man, surrendered to officers at the scene.

Police released few details about the shooting except to say the man, identified as a “John Doe” of unknown age, was shot several times while sitting in a vehicle with a “known offender” on the 100 block of East Wacker Drive.

Police said the man was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in critical condition.

CPD dispatch records indicate the victim called 911 after being shot and identified the shooter by name to an operator. According to another dispatch, the woman also called 911, claimed to be a concealed carry holder, and admitted that she shot the man.

She also walked up to a cop at the scene and admitted that she shot the man, an officer said. He took her into custody.

Investigators and evidence technicians were seen examining a car parked in a garage on the 200 block of North Michigan, about a half-block from where they found the shooting victim. Guests of a nearby hotel frequently use the garage.

In a media statement issued shortly after the shooting, police said that more details would be forthcoming, but no new information has been released as of 6 p.m. Sunday.

Earlier Sunday, another man suffered six gunshot wounds on the 700 block of South Wabash around 12:40 a.m. He showed up at Northwestern Memorial Hospital about 20 minutes later in a car driven by his girlfriend.

The man, 36, told police he was standing outside when someone apparently shot him from a gray SUV.

There have now been 25 people shot in the Loop during 2021. One of those victims has died. By comparison, 13 people were shot in the Loop by this point last year. Only three were shot in all of 2019. Two of 2019’s shootings were deemed to be self-defense.

CWBChicago will continue to monitor this story and report new developments.

Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please make a contribution to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6698 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com