Man is charged with having his second illegal gun since June — while on bail for murder both times

Vincent Davidson (2017) | CPD

It doesn’t get much more ridiculous than this.

Remember Vincent Davidson? We told you about him in June after prosecutors accused him of having a gun in his car while he was on bond for first-degree murder. Incredibly, Davidson got out of jail again, and prosecutors on Sunday charged him with having another gun in his car this weekend.

Let’s start with those murder allegations.

On October 1, 2017, a man walked up to Tommie L. Jones, 28, and a 26-year-old woman as they stood in the 2600 block of East 75th Street around 10:30 a.m. The man pulled out a gun and opened fire on the two. Jones was pronounced dead at the scene from multiple gunshot wounds to his head and back. The woman, shot in the back, was seriously wounded but survived.

Davidson, 38, was arrested on the day after Christmas the same year to face charges of first-degree murder and aggravated battery by discharge of a firearm in the case, according to CPD records. Two days later, a judge ordered him held without bail, and Davidson stayed behind bars until another judge reduced his bail to $300,000 in August 2020. Davidson was released after he posted a $30,000 deposit bond.

On June 1, police pulled Davidson and two passengers over for a traffic violation, and cops allegedly saw an open bottle of tequila in the car. When an officer asked him if there was anything in his vehicle, Davison said there was “something” in the center console, according to prosecutors.

The “something” turned out to be a loaded 9-millimeter handgun equipped with a laser sight, Assistant State’s Attorney Brian Burkhardt said during the June bond hearing.

Judge Mary Marubio noted the $30,000 that Davidson posted to get out of jail on the murder charge “is an incredibly hefty bond and it didn’t move the needle.” She then ordered Davidson held without bail on the gun charge and on the murder case.

But somehow — exactly how is not clear in court records — Davidson was allowed out of jail again last month.

On Saturday, cops pulled Davidson over for a traffic violation. Once again, officers said they saw an open bottle of alcohol in his car. In his trunk, they allegedly found a handgun equipped with a switch to create automatic gunfire.

Prosecutors charged him with being a felon in possession of a firearm and resisting arrest. He is facing an identical gun charge in connection with the June incident.

Judge Susana Ortiz on Sunday ordered him held without bail for violating the terms of bond in the murder case and held without bail for violating the terms of bond in the June gun case. She set bail in the new gun case at $200,000 and ordered Davidson to go onto electronic monitoring if he becomes eligible for release. Again.

Would you mind supporting CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a contribution or subscription?

About CWBChicago 6583 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is