A 26-year-old man was shot and critically wounded in Grant Park on Thursday afternoon, police said. He is the fifth person shot in the Loop this month and the sixth person shot in the neighborhood since August 29.
Witnesses approached officers near the 1100 block of South Michigan around 1:45 p.m. to report shots fired near the skate park. Police investigated and found the victim, who reportedly had a gunshot wound to his leg near the groin area.
Officers applied a tourniquet and QuikClot bandages to help reduce his blood loss until fire department personnel arrived. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
Police searched the area for the shooter, who was an acquaintance of the victim. One witness provided police with a picture of the suspect, and city surveillance cameras captured additional footage of the gunman, an officer said.
The suspect is a Black male in his mid-20’s with dreadlocks who wore an olive green backpack and light-colored Crocs. Officers said he was last seen heading north from the skate park on a black bike with white tire rims.
Among other recent shootings in the Loop:
- Police said an 18-year-old man was shot during an armed robbery on Roosevelt Road just west of State Street around 6:30 p.m. Sunday.
- At 2:30 a.m. Sunday, a 24-year-old man was traveling in his car when his driver’s side window shattered near 50 West Ida B. Wells, according to police. He told police he didn’t know where the shots came from or who shot him. Officers found shell casings near a gas station at the shooting scene.
- A 28-year-old man was shot during an apparent road rage incident on the 600 block of South Michigan at 11:45 p.m. Saturday, September 4. There have been no arrests.
- A CTA bus driver was shot in the face by a passenger who allegedly became enraged when he was asked to get off the bus at the end of its route on the first block of East Washington around 8:53 p.m. on Saturday, September 4. Dennis Green, 38, is charged with attempted murder in the case.
- A 21-year-old man was shot while driving with his pregnant girlfriend and another passenger on Lower Wacker Drive near Michigan Avenue around 12:30 a.m. on August 29. No arrests have been made.
Thursday’s victim is the Loop’s 23rd shooting victim of the year. By comparison, the neighborhood had 18 shooting victims for the entirety of 2020 and only three shooting victims for all of 2019.