Man shot in the Loop is the neighborhood’s 24th shooting victim of the year

Chicago police are investigating yet another shooting in the Loop. It’s the 22nd non-fatal shooting incident in the downtown neighborhood this year — more shootings than it saw from 2001 to 2017 combined.

Witnesses reported hearing shots fired on the 700 block of South Wabash around 12:28 a.m. Sunday and officers quickly found shell casings lying in the street, but no victim was on the scene.

He showed up at Northwestern Memorial Hospital about 20 minutes later in a car driven by his girlfriend. Officers said the 36-year-old suffered six gunshot wounds — two each to his right hand, right hip, and right foot. He is listed in fair condition.

The man told police he was shot while standing outside, and he thought the shots came from a gray SUV. That aligns with witness statements that shots were fired from at least one vehicle, possibly in the direction of a second car.

So far this year, 24 people have been shot in the Loop. One of those victims has died. By comparison, 13 people were shot in the Loop by this point last year. Only three were shot in all of 2019. Two of 2019’s shootings were deemed to be self-defense.

This year’s surviving victims were shot in 22 separate incidents. That’s more non-fatal shootings incidents than the neighborhood saw from 2001 through 2016 combined. There have been 59 non-fatal shooting incidents in the Loop since 2001. About 60% of those have occurred since COVID arrived, according to city records.

In the past 21 years, the Loop has recorded a total of 26 murders, with 12 of those coming in the past three years.

Please support CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a contribution or subscription. Members-only perks await!