Uptown man accused of assaulting local alderman is jailed again — for allegedly battering a woman on the street

Tony Landers | CPD

The man charged last week with assaulting Uptown Ald. James Cappleman during a dispute over a table is back in custody after he allegedly battered a 62-year-old woman less than three days after being released on his own recognizance.

Tony Landers, 58, is now being held without bail, according to sheriff’s office records.

Cappleman, who said he has had many encounters with Landers over the years, accused Landers of assaulting him as he followed up on a resident’s complaint about men drinking on the sidewalk in the 4700 block of North Racine around 9:05 p.m. Saturday, September 18. The alderman said the confrontation stemmed from his effort to remove a small table that was on the sidewalk.

Landers stayed in police custody for 47 hours before being cut loose on his own recognizance with only a misdemeanor assault charge filed against him, CPD records show.

Less than 72 hours later, shortly before noon on Thursday, Landers was arrested again on the 4600 block of North Broadway.

Prosecutors said during a bond court hearing that Landers pushed a senior citizen in her face with his open hand while saying, “I’m going to knock the sh*t out of you.”

Police initially sought a felony charge of aggravated battery of a senior citizen, but prosecutors only pursued a misdemeanor battery count.

Judge Mary Marubio said she would allow Landers to be released on electronic monitoring without requiring a bond deposit in the new case. But Marubio ordered him held on $5,000 bail for violating the terms of bond in the Cappleman case, another $5,000 for violating conditional discharge in an aggravated assault case, and yet another $5,000 for violating his conditional discharge in a criminal damage case he picked up for breaking a car window on the 1100 block of West Leland last year.

Another judge subsequently reviewed Landers’ situation and ordered him held without bail.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

About CWBChicago 6583 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com