That’s how a Cook County judge summarized the allegations against Shaquille Sankey, who allegedly shot a man who tried to stop him from beating his pregnant girlfriend over the weekend.
“Adding insult to injury, he’s got a pending armed habitual criminal case and a pending escape case. Not only that, he’s convicted of two other gun cases before,” Judge John Lyke said after hearing the allegations.
“And,” Lyke continued, “he’s walking around allegedly with a gun tied around his neck by a shoestring.”
Sankey, who paid a total bail deposit of just $600 to get out of jail on the previously pending charges, is now the 47th person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while awaiting trial for a felony.
Prosecutors said Sankey, 28, went to his girlfriend’s apartment early Saturday to confront her about a man she had been talking to. Sankey allegedly choked and battered the woman in front of her roommate and the roommate’s male friend while an armed man who came with Sankey stood by the front door.
The girlfriend noticed that Sankey had a gun tied around his neck with a shoestring, prosecutors said. At one point, he allegedly pointed the gun at the woman’s roommate and the roommate’s friend and pulled the trigger. It jammed, according to prosecutors, and he ordered the roommate and her male friend to leave.
As they walked out the door, Sankey shot the male friend in his right buttock, prosecutors said. The bullet exited through the man’s leg.
On Saturday evening, police stopped a car for a traffic violation and saw Sankey sitting in the front passenger seat with a gun tied around his neck by a shoestring, according to the allegations. They arrested him for the gun and also knew detectives wanted him for the shooting, prosecutors said.
He is charged with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery by discharging a firearm, armed habitual criminal, aggravated battery of a pregnant person, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and possession of a controlled substance.
In reviewing Sankey’s background for Lyke’s consideration, a prosecutor said Sankey paid 10% of a $5,000 bail to get out of jail on electronic monitoring for a pending armed habitual criminal gun case. He later paid 10% of a $1,000 bail to get out of jail for escaping the electronic monitoring, according to the state. He was convicted of illegal gun possession in 2014 and again in 2017, has failed to appear in court seven times, and has five domestic battery arrests in his background, prosecutors said.
Assistant Public Defender Courtney Smallwood argued that Sankey’s girlfriend was not pursuing charges in the case and said the couple has a history of being arrested for domestics. She said that Sankey, who is in domestic violence service class, has been working in loss prevention.
“He’s in domestic violence service classes,” Lyke noted. “He must be getting an F.”
The judge ordered Sankey held without bail.
Editor’s note: This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to kill a person while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.
The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people on felony bail is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has made arrests in just 4% of shootings and 31% of murders, according to the city’s data. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)
- #32: Teen with pending felony gun case shot man dead over shoulder bump, prosecutors say (July 28, 2021)
- #33: Gunman in mass shooting was on $200 bond for pending firearms case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #34: Man tried to kill stranger during 8-minute random attack inside Lincoln Park store, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #35: Man murdered another in cold blood while on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #36: Uber Eats driver was gunned down in random attack by man who’s on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 14, 2021)
- #37: Man’s charged with trying to kill 2 cops while on a recognizance bond for injuring 2 cops who tried to arrest him in March (August 19, 2021)
- #38: Man killed one, shot another while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (August 25, 2021)
- #39 – Man’s charged with two separate shootings while AWOL on burglary charge (September 8, 2021)
- #40: Chef is accused of slashing friend’s throat while on bond for allegedly stabbing his own brother to death (September 9, 2021)
- #41: Man charged with firing 14 shots during carjacking — while on recognizance bond for stolen car case (February 10, 2021)
- #42: Man killed 1, injured 3 in expressway shooting while on bond for attempted murder, prosecutor say (September 11, 2021)
- #43: Man shot victim 11 times while awaiting new trial in gun case, prosecutors say (September 22, 2021)
- #44: Man charged with trying to kill his girlfriend while on felony bond (September 22, 2021)
- #45: Man beat, shot at his pregnant girlfriend while free on felony case, prosecutors say (September 26, 2021)
- #46: Man shot woman during argument over phone messages while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (October 10, 2021)