Man charged with robbery for Xbox rip-off that left his 14-year-old brother dead

Oscar Alvarez | CPD

Editor’s note: Police and attorneys present for Oscar Alavarez’s bond hearing said his brother, Pablo, was 15-years-old. The Cook County medical examiner’s office lists his age as 14. We have updated this story to reflect the new information.


A 14-year-old boy who was shot when he tried to steal a gaming console during an online sale meetup Saturday night has died, and his older brother is now facing felony charges for allegedly helping him carry out the failed scheme.

Judge Susana Ortiz ordered Oscar Alvarez, 19, held without bail Tuesday after prosecutors laid out allegations to support Class X armed robbery and robbery charges.

Alvarez and his younger brother, identified in records as Pablo Alvarez, hatched a scheme to rob a 29-year-old man of an Xbox after agreeing to buy it via the OfferUp app, Assistant State’s Attorney Gabriella Morris said.

Under the plan, Oscar Alvarez would drive his brother to meet the victim on the 7200 block of West Waveland. The boy would grab the gaming console from the victim and run back to the car and they would drive away.

But when Pablo got back into the car with the gaming console, the victim tried to stop the vehicle from leaving and then opened fire on the brothers after Oscar Alvarez displayed a gun, Morris said.

According to authorities, Oscar Alvarez suffered a graze wound to his shoulder, but his younger brother was shot in the head and subsequently died. Oscar Alvarez’s girlfriend was also in the car, Morris said, but she was not injured.

The older Alvarez called 911 as he drove himself and his brother to St. Mary’s Hospital, Morris said. Police did not find a gun in his possession or in his car, according to Morris.

Alvarez allegedly admitted to forming a plan to rob the victim.

Private defense attorney Jeff Kent reiterated that no weapon was ever found and said Oscar Alvarez told police he did not take a gun to the meetup.

Alvarez is due back in court on November 3.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

About CWBChicago 6359 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com