At least eight more people were targeted in muggings and carjackings from Wednesday afternoon into the early hours of Thursday across the robbery-plagued West Town community area, according to CPD reports. An eighth person who was apparently being targeted by armed men managed to escape by stepping on his car’s accelerator.
Here are the details:
- A woman was bumped and bruised, but she managed to keep her car after two women tried to carjack her in the 2100 block of West Huron around 4:10 p.m. The suspects, two Black females wearing puffy coats and blue jeans, were last seen heading westbound on Chicago.
- At 7:50 p.m., two men got out of a black four-door sedan and confronted him at gunpoint on the 1700 block of West Cortez, CPD spokesperson Kellie Bartoli said. The offenders went through his pockets and demanded his property. He complied and they fled in the sedan. Bartoli said the suspects are two Black males between 20- and 25-years-old who wore all black clothing.
- A driver reported that two young men approached his car with a handgun on the 300 block of North Leavitt around 8:15 p.m. He stepped on the gas and got away.
- At 8:45 p.m., two men stepped out of a black sedan and robbed two victims at gunpoint on the 2100 block of West Schiller.
- Then, around 11:30 p.m., three men armed with handguns got out of a gray Toyota Camry and robbed two men who were walking in the 1900 block of North Campbell. The victims, who lost their phones and wallets to the men, suffered minor injuries in the confrontation, police said.
- Three armed offenders beat and robbed two men who were walking on the 2000 block of West Shakespeare at 1:15 a.m. Thursday, police said. The attackers, who were armed with handguns, then robbed the men of their phones and wallets and fled in a black sedan, according to CPD.
Robbery sprees have been popping up across the West Town community area on a regular basis lately: nine people were robbed in the area Monday night into Tuesday; seven were robbed in a spree Tuesday morning; and six more were robbed in a wave that rolled across the area Tuesday night into Wednesday.
In Wicker Park and Bucktown this year, 127 robberies were reported as of October 26 — but 78 of those have occurred since August 1. Of course, those totals don’t include all of the cases reported in the past seven days.
Police have not announced any arrests in connection with any of the robberies.
Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.