Chicago police detectives have identified at least four separate robbery patterns that are active in West Town, Wicker Park, Bucktown, and nearby neighborhoods. Detectives believe one group is responsible for at least 19 armed robberies over the past three weeks.
The patterns, each the subject of separate community alerts issued by CPD recently, represent different groups of people that police suspect are actively robbing or carjacking victims in the area.
Here are the details of each alert. Individual crimes are linked to our previous coverage, where available. Anyone with information about the crimes can contact Area Three detectives at 312-744-8263 or Area Five detectives at 312-746-7394.
Two female carjackers (Pattern #P21-3-124)
Perhaps the most unusual of CPD’s warnings involves a pattern of two female carjackers who have struck twice since October 26. In one case, the duo walked up to a woman who was near her car and took her vehicle at gunpoint. In the second case, the women beat a female victim and demanded her keys as she stood near her car, but the hijacking failed, according to police.
Detectives said the women struck on the 1800 block of West Superior at 4:20 p.m. on October 26 and on the 2100 block of West Huron at 4:02 p.m. on November 3.
The suspects are two Black females between 18- and 25-years-old, police said.
19 robberies (Pattern #1-CWP-28)
The most prolific group is a team of robbers who exit vehicles with a handgun that is sometimes equipped with a green laser to rob people on the street. This group also forces victims to surrender their phone and debit card PINs, police said.
Investigators believe the crew is responsible for the following robberies, many of which involve multiple victims and some involved violence such as pistol-whipping and even shots fired:
- 1300 block of North Bosworth on October 11, 2021 at 9:00 p.m.
- 1900 block of West Evergreen on October 11, 2021 at 9:53 p.m.
- 2100 block of West Race on October 11, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
- 1400 block of North Milwaukee on October 13, 2021 at 12:20 a.m.
- 1400 block of North Bosworth on October 18 at 10:00 p.m.
- 1200 block of North Hoyne on October 18 at 10:30 p.m.
- 1500 block of West Chestnut St. on October 18 at 10:59 p.m.
- 2500 block of North Talman on October 20 at 1:40 a.m.
- 1200 block of North Wolcott on October 21 at 10:33 p.m.
- 2100 block of West Webster on October 21 at 10:49 p.m.
- 1800 block of North Paulina St. on October 27 at 10 p.m.
- 1600 block of West Pierce on October 28 at 12:20 a.m.
- 1900 block of North Hoyne on October 29 at 7:50 p.m.
- 1400 block of North Leavitt St. on November 1 between 9:45 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- 1600 block of North Wood St. on November 2 at 9 p.m.
- 1600 block of West Blackhawk St. on November 2 at 9:10 p.m.
- 2100 block of West Schiller St. on November 3 at 8:39 p.m.
- 1900 block of North Campbell on November 3 at 11:30 p.m.
- 2000 block of West Shakespeare on November 4 at 1:15 a.m.
The victim in one robbery said the suspects are two Black men between 18- and 20-years-old who stand 5’11” to 6-feet tall and weight about 165 pounds, according to the alert.
Another case involved a group of five people, including at least one woman, who appeared to be between 20- and 25-years-old, about 5’7” tall and 150 pounds. Police said four of the suspects were Black while the fifth’s race is not known.
Carjacking duo (Pattern #P21-5-090)
A Bucktown father who was carjacked while loading his child into the family car on Halloween morning is one of three victims who’ve been targeted by a two-person hijacking crew, according to another CPD alert.
In these crimes, one offender approaches a victim who is near their vehicle, then displays a gun and takes control of the car. An accomplice waits in another car nearby.
Police said one offender is a Black male between 20- and 25-years-old who stands 5’5” tall and weighs about 140 pounds. The other’s race and sex were not released, but police said they are 25- to 30-years-old, 5’7” to 5’9” tall, and 150 pounds.
The duo carjacked victims on the 1900 block of West Wabansia at 9:32 a.m. on October 27; the 2900 block of West Wabansia at 9:50 a.m. on October 27; and the 1900 block of North Honore at 8:45 a.m. on October 31.
1 gunman, 40 minutes (Pattern #P21-3-123)
One gunman driving a hijacked sedan committed a series of robberies across West Town and Humboldt Park on Tuesday. Between 7:10 a.m. and 7:50 a.m., the man robbed victims on the 2700 block of West Iowa, 900 block of North Richmond, 2500 block of West Thomas, 2700 block of West Division, 2300 block of West Haddon and 2400 block of West Walton, police said.
According to CPD’s community alert, he is a Black male between 18- and 22-years-old who stands 5’8” to 6’1” and weighs 160 to 170 pounds.