South Loop: Man is charged with driving stolen car that’s linked to $120K Louis Vuitton heist

Jamari Stigler | CPD

A man on bail for a pending gun case was arrested in the South Loop on Sunday after police determined that he was driving a stolen car used in last week’s robbery of the Louis Vuitton store in Oak Brook, according to prosecutors and a source.

Oak Brook officials said 14 people took about $120,000 worth of merchandise in a lightning-fast raid of the suburban Vuitton store last Wednesday afternoon. The crime was captured on video.

Around 2 p.m. Sunday, Chicago police pulled 22-year-old Jamari Stigler over near Clark Street and Roosevelt Road because the car he was driving had a license plate that investigators linked to the Vuitton heist, according to police records. Twitter user @Kimberl24391237 posted photos of the scene.

During the traffic stop, police learned the car was stolen and they arrested Stigler, Assistant State’s Attorney Sergio Gomez said. Stigler is not accused of participating in the Oak Brook robbery, and Gomez said investigators don’t know if Stigler personally stole the car he was caught driving.

Prosecutors charged Stigler with possessing a stolen motor vehicle and theft.

His private defense attorney argued that there is no proof that Stigler knew the car was stolen. He asked Judge Maryam Ahmad to allow Stigler to post a $1,000 deposit to go home on electronic monitoring.

But Ahmad was even more lenient than the attorney hoped. She decided to allow Stigler to go home without electronic monitoring in exchange for a $1,000 deposit.

Stigler has a pending felony gun charge from July. In that case, police said they found a loaded handgun in his waistband during a traffic stop. Ahmad ordered him held without bail temporarily until the judge in that case could review the new developments.

Oak Brook police continue to investigate the Louis Vuitton robbery. Chicago police are also investigating a months-long string of similar raids along the Magnificent Mile, Rush Street, and Oak Street.

Please support CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a contribution or subscription. Members-only perks await!

About CWBChicago 6779 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com