Suspect in Walgreens cigarette thefts is being questioned by detectives, source says

A team of Chicago police officers have arrested a Belmont Cragin man for questioning in connection with recent thefts of cigarettes from Walgreens stores across the North Side and downtown, according to a source. For nearly two months, Walgreens stores across the city have lost tens of thousands of dollars worth of cigarettes to two men who’ve conducted similar thefts.

The man, identified as 33-year-old Kendrick Archibald, has not yet been charged with any wrongdoing. He is, however, on bail while awaiting trial for burglary charges for allegedly stealing cigarettes from behind the counter of a Walgreens in Grundy County.

Grundy County records show Archibald and another man, Lance Harris, face felony burglary charges for allegedly loading cigarettes into black trash bags during a daytime raid at a Morris, Illinois, Walgreens in July 2020.

Archibald rose to the top of CPD’s list of suspects in the local Walgreens thefts after investigators learned that a car linked to the thefts is registered to another person at his home address, according to a source and CPD incident reports.

Police arrested him for questioning around 12:45 p.m. Tuesday, one day after two thieves filled a black trash bag and a shopping basket with cigarettes at a Walgreens in Norwood Park. A customer recorded that theft on his phone:

Less than two months ago, police in suburban St. Charles arrested Archibald for allegedly stealing a charity fundraising jar from a Jimmy John’s restaurant counter. The store’s employees were hoping to give the money to a sick co-worker, according to a St. Charles government press release.

St. Charles police launched a full-blown investigation into the August 17 theft. The city’s statement said officers “investigated the crime and were able to develop a suspect” and then secured an arrest warrant. They arrested him on September 9 to face a misdemeanor theft charge.

CWBChicago will continue to follow developments in this story.

Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please make a contribution to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6698 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com