Prosecutors on Tuesday charged a man with participating in a shooting that killed a 20-year-old man and injured a 17-year-old woman while he was on bond for a pending felony charge.
We told you about Angelo Baldwin on July 17 when he became the 28th person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago this year while free on a felony bail bond.
In the previous case, Baldwin allegedly shot 20-year-old Dayvon Snell to death on I-57 near Halsted Street during a robbery that unfolded after the men were involved in a minor traffic accident.
After the murder, Illinois State Police investigators issued a bulletin to law enforcement that included photos of Baldwin. Chicago detectives immediately recognized him as the man seen on surveillance video of an earlier shooting that killed another man on June 10, Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said.
Around 3:27 p.m. that afternoon, 20-year-old Darrion Stokes was standing outside a car on the 6500 block of South Claremont while speaking with a 26-year-old woman and a 17-year-old girl who were inside the vehicle, police said. A 6-year-old girl and a 4-year-old girl were in the car’s back seat.
Suddenly, a blue SUV rolled down the street, and someone opened fire on the car, killing Stokes and grazing the teen’s finger, according to Murphy and police. Investigators learned that the SUV was stolen from a gas station the day before the shooting, and Baldwin was seen stealing the car in surveillance footage, Murphy said.
About 30 minutes after the shooting, the SUV crashed on the South Side, and surveillance video allegedly shows Baldwin and an unidentified accomplice running from the scene. The accomplice is carrying a gun.
Murphy said Baldwin hid under a porch and phone records show he sent a text to someone in which he said, “I’m under a porch at 87th and Union.”
Murphy said he also used the phone to order an Uber from the scene and check Twitter for information about the murder. Police allegedly found a cup with Baldwin’s DNA inside the crashed SUV.
After Chicago police realized that one of the men who ran from the SUV was the same person shown on the State Police bulletin about the expressway shooting, they ordered expedited testing of shell casings recovered from both crime scenes. Murphy said lab tests determined that the same gun fired the bullets at both murder scenes.
Baldwin is charged with one count of first-degree murder and four counts of attempted first-degree murder in connection with the June 10 shooting.
Assistant Public Defender Patrick White noted that Baldwin is listed by the wrong first name on a Chicago Police Department report, which also has the wrong birthdate.
White said Baldwin worked for two years as an outreach worker for the CeaseFire anti-violence group.
Judge Susana Ortiz set Baldwin’s bail at $1 million cash. He is being held without bail for Snell’s murder, and Murphy said prosecutors would ask to have him held without bail on the new charges in the coming days.
Editor’s note: This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to kill a person while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.
The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people on felony bail is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has made arrests in just 4% of shootings and 31% of murders, according to the city’s data. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)
- #32: Teen with pending felony gun case shot man dead over shoulder bump, prosecutors say (July 28, 2021)
- #33: Gunman in mass shooting was on $200 bond for pending firearms case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #34: Man tried to kill stranger during 8-minute random attack inside Lincoln Park store, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #35: Man murdered another in cold blood while on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #36: Uber Eats driver was gunned down in random attack by man who’s on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 14, 2021)
- #37: Man’s charged with trying to kill 2 cops while on a recognizance bond for injuring 2 cops who tried to arrest him in March (August 19, 2021)
- #38: Man killed one, shot another while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (August 25, 2021)
- #39 – Man’s charged with two separate shootings while AWOL on burglary charge (September 8, 2021)
- #40: Chef is accused of slashing friend’s throat while on bond for allegedly stabbing his own brother to death (September 9, 2021)
- #41: Man charged with firing 14 shots during carjacking — while on recognizance bond for stolen car case (February 10, 2021)
- #42: Man killed 1, injured 3 in expressway shooting while on bond for attempted murder, prosecutor say (September 11, 2021)
- #43: Man shot victim 11 times while awaiting new trial in gun case, prosecutors say (September 22, 2021)
- #44: Man charged with trying to kill his girlfriend while on felony bond (September 22, 2021)
- #45: Man beat, shot at his pregnant girlfriend while free on felony case, prosecutors say (September 26, 2021)
- #46: Man shot woman during argument over phone messages while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (October 10, 2021)
- #47: Twice-convicted gun offender shot man while on bail for another gun case and escape, prosecutors say (October 12, 2021)
- #48: Five-time felon killed his own cousin while on electronic monitoring for pending narcotics case, prosecutors say (November 3, 2021)
- #49: Gunman shot a passing car while firing across Chicago Avenue — and while on felony bond (November 6, 2021)
- #50: Uber driver was murdered by a man who was on felony bail, federal prosecutors say. But that’s only part of the story. (November 8, 2021)
- #51: Concealed carry holder kills catalytic converter thief who opened fire on him in West Lakeview (November 11, 2021)
- #52: Man who shot driver in South Loop on Saturday was AWOL from a pending felony case, prosecutors say (November 23, 2021)
- #53: Man charged with shooting 1-year-old while on recognizance bond for felony gun case (November 26, 2021)
- #54: Man opened fire on trucker during expressway dispute — while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (November 27, 2021)
- #55: Man killed 2, shot 3 more while awaiting trial for carjacking, prosecutors say (November 28, 2021)
- #56: Man tried to kill his wife on the Kennedy Expressway while on bond for domestic battery, on parole for domestic battery, and on conditional discharge for domestic battery, prosecutors say (November 29, 2021)
- #57: Man shot store clerk while on bond for felony gun case, prosecutors say (December 10, 2021)
- #58: Man opened fire on cops in traffic — while on bond for felony gun case, prosecutors say (December 13, 2021)