Chicago police tonight confirmed that an armed robbery crew that shot two men during separate hold-ups in Boystown late Tuesday and early Wednesday is part of the same group that committed dozens of crimes across Lakeview and Lincoln Park in November and December.
CWBChicago reported this morning that a source suggested the shootings were an escalation of the group’s already-violent behavior. Now, police have confirmed those suspicions.
CPD has repeatedly warned about the robbers, who are believed to be part of a group that often travels in two or three cars to commit bursts of robberies together. They have even targeted groups of people walking together on the street, including one group of eight people and another group of five.
The robberies went on a nearly two-week hiatus after Cook County Sheriff’s Police chased one of the cars, which slammed into a CPD tactical unit, on December 16. The hiatus apparently ended with the new Boystown incidents.
In a community alert issued Wednesday evening, police tied the following robberies to the same crew; however, many more cases are not on the list. We have linked to our coverage of individual incidents, when available:
- 800 block of West Wolfram St on November 17, 2021 at 9:20 pm
- 3900 block of North Janssen Ave on November 21, 2021 at 10:05 pm
- 2300 block of North Lincoln Ave on November 27, 2021 at 5:35 pm
- 1800 block of West Wellington Ave on November 28, 2021 at 1:00 am
- 1000 block of West Barry Ave on December 1, 2021 at 8:15 pm
- 1600 block of West Cornelia Ave on December 1, 2021 at 8:53 pm
- 1400 block of West Cornelia Ave on December 1, 2021 at 8:55 pm
- 2200 block of North Fremont Ave on December 3, 2021 at 9:30 pm
- 800 block of West Newport Ave on December 4, 2021 at 10:40 am
- 2200 block of North Lincoln Ave on December 6, 2021 at 8:50 pm
- 2300 block of North Clark St on December 6, 2021 at 9:47 pm
- 1000 block of West Addison St on December 7, 2021 at 9:00 pm
- 1000 block of West Addison St on December 7, 2021 at 9:07 pm
- 800 block of West Barry Ave on December 10, 2021 at 11:45 pm
- 600 block of West Melrose St on December 10, 2021 at 11:50 pm
- 1700 block of West Wrightwood Ave on December 11, 2021 at 12:10 am
- 2100 block of North Fremont St on December 14, 2021 at 10:00 pm
- 1000 block of West George St on December 14, 2021 at 10:15 pm
- 1200 block of West Montana St on December 14, 2021 at 10:30 pm
- 600 block of West Buckingham Pl on December 28, 2021 at 11:44 pm
- 400 block of West Aldine Ave on December 29, 2021 at 1:00 am
The alert described the suspects as a group of two to five Black males between 13- and 25-years-old who wear dark hoodies and ski masks. They drove a gray sedan, possibly a Kia, during the latest robberies and shootings in Boystown. However, many different cars have been involved in the crime wave. They carjacked some of the vehicles.
Investigators who spoke with CWBChicago said they believe the offenders are committing the robberies for entertainment more than for profit. And that’s what has some cops especially concerned.
“This is extremely dangerous,” a source said Wednesday afternoon. “One or two people [in the crew] are very violent. They shot two victims for thrills.”
On December 17, the same source said they were concerned that the robbery crews would become more violent: “It’s a pretty quick trip from firing into the air and beating someone with a pistol to shooting someone in the leg, or worse.”
Anyone with information about the crimes can contact Area Three detectives at 312-744-8263 regarding pattern #P21-3-136D.