Man who ditched a gun at the Grand Red Line platform last year gets 2-1/2 year prison term

A convicted felon has been sentenced to 2½ years in prison for allegedly brandishing a gun during a fight on the Grand Red Line platform last June.

Marvin Floyd, 30, pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm in exchange for the sentence, according to court records. Judge Lauren Edidin handed down the sentence and credited him with 170 days for the time he spent in custody before pleading.

Marvin Floyd pleaded guilty to hiding a gun under a cone on the Grand Red Line platform. | CPD; CWBChicago

Police responded to a call of a large group fighting and a man with a gun on the platform around 5:10 p.m. on June 13. Witnesses told officers they saw Floyd put a gun under a cone on the southbound platform.

Cops went to the cone, lifted it, and found the weapon. They found Floyd a few minutes later standing between two buildings near a local firehouse. CTA surveillance footage captured clear images of Floyd’s face and recorded him putting the gun under the cone, prosecutors alleged.

He was on probation for a felony gun charge and on bail for a misdemeanor case at the time of the incident. Floyd reported to Stateville Correctional Center in December. His parole date is set for September 9.

Addison Red Line gun

Chicago police arrested a man who allegedly displayed a handgun on the Addison Red Line platform around 1 a.m. Saturday.

Witnesses called 911 after seeing a man pull the gun out on the platform. Cops pulled up a video feed from the CTA station and spotted a man who matched the description provided by the 911 callers.

Police stopped the man, identified by prosecutors as Johnnie Young, and allegedly found a loaded 9-millimeter handgun in his hoodie pocket.

Young, 30, has four children, according to his public defender.

He is currently charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, but prosecutors said they expect to upgrade the charge to being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Judge Maryam Ahamad set his bail at $5,000. She ordered him to go on electronic monitoring after posting a $500 deposit to get out of jail.

You can support CWBChicago’s start-to-finish tracking of court cases by becoming a subscriber today!

About CWBChicago 6704 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com