During a four-hour cross-city crime spree on December 11, Pedro Mendiola and Moises Barrios committed at least 13 armed robberies and beat ten people with a baseball bat and a crowbar, prosecutors said Friday. One of the beating victims, 49-year-old Jose Tellez, died after the men allegedly attacked him as he hung Christmas lights on his home.
Mendiola was on bail with a pending felon in possession of a firearm case at the time. He is the 67th person charged with killing or shooting — or trying to shoot or kill — someone in Chicago last year while awaiting trial for a felony.
Mendiola allegedly told police that he regrets participating in the violent crime spree, but Christmas was around the corner, and he had no money for his kids.
The evidence against Mendiola, 21, and 23-year-old Moises Barrios includes phone video of them riding around in a red Dodge Intrepid with a blue aluminum baseball bat before the attacks began, Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said.
Their first alleged crime of the day, an armed robbery while wielding the baseball bat, failed around 3:52 p.m.when the victim ran away on the 3500 block of North Laramie.
Others would not be so lucky.
Five minutes later, Barrios hit an Amazon driver in the head with the bat during a robbery, Murphy said. A witness allegedly saw them search the driver for valuables and escape in the Intrepid, registered to Barrios’ mother.
Murphy said a few minutes later, the duo swung the bat at a postal worker and demanded his property. They allegedly broke out the window of his delivery truck with the bat, stole items from inside the vehicle, and drove away in the Intrepid.
At 4:15 p.m., another robbery victim was hit in the head with a bat, then kicked as he lay on the ground near Lockwood and Berenice in Portage Park. Murphy said Barrios and Mendiola robbed him of his phone, shoes, and money.
Murphy described one robbery after another with similar, violent details.
About halfway into their spree, the two men rolled up on the 3500 block of West 58th Street as Jose Tellez was decorating his home for the holidays.
Murphy said that Tellez’s 14-year-old daughter looked out the window when she heard her father scream and Barrios beating her dad with a baseball bat while Mendiola stood nearby.
She and her brother went outside and found their father in a pool of blood with his phone missing. The attackers were gone. Tellez died from blunt force trauma to his head.
The men continued to attack and rob victims for another 90 minutes, according to the allegations.
Around 9 p.m., police went to the registered address for the Dodge Intrepid and found Barrios standing next to it in the alley, Murphy said. He was arrested and charged with the first and last crimes of the spree.
Cops recovered a crowbar and a baseball bat from the Intrepid. DNA testing on the crowbar came back to Barrios, and blood on the crowbar matched Tellez, Murphy said. The baseball bat allegedly had fingerprints from Mendiola and Tellez’s blood.
Police continued their investigation into the other crimes and Tellez’s murder. Under questioning, Mendiola told police Barrios beat Tellez to death, and he admitted to all of the robberies, Murphy said.
Mendiola was on bail for a pending charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm. He posted a $500 bail deposit to get out of jail in the case, records show. The charge stems from an arrest on July 26, about two blocks from where Tellez was killed, according to CPD records.
He is charged with first-degree murder, 12 counts of armed robbery, nine counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and seven other felonies.
Barrios, who has previous felony convictions for being a felon in possession of a firearm, residential burglary, and narcotics, is charged with first-degree murder, 12 counts of armed robbery, nine counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and five other felonies.
Judge Maryam Ahmad ordered both men held without bail.
The “not horrible” series
This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to kill a person while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.
The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people on felony bail is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has made arrests in just 4% of shootings and 31% of murders, according to the city’s data. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)
- #32: Teen with pending felony gun case shot man dead over shoulder bump, prosecutors say (July 28, 2021)
- #33: Gunman in mass shooting was on $200 bond for pending firearms case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #34: Man tried to kill stranger during 8-minute random attack inside Lincoln Park store, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #35: Man murdered another in cold blood while on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #36: Uber Eats driver was gunned down in random attack by man who’s on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 14, 2021)
- #37: Man’s charged with trying to kill 2 cops while on a recognizance bond for injuring 2 cops who tried to arrest him in March (August 19, 2021)
- #38: Man killed one, shot another while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (August 25, 2021)
- #39 – Man’s charged with two separate shootings while AWOL on burglary charge (September 8, 2021)
- #40: Chef is accused of slashing friend’s throat while on bond for allegedly stabbing his own brother to death (September 9, 2021)
- #41: Man charged with firing 14 shots during carjacking — while on recognizance bond for stolen car case (February 10, 2021)
- #42: Man killed 1, injured 3 in expressway shooting while on bond for attempted murder, prosecutor say (September 11, 2021)
- #43: Man shot victim 11 times while awaiting new trial in gun case, prosecutors say (September 22, 2021)
- #44: Man charged with trying to kill his girlfriend while on felony bond (September 22, 2021)
- #45: Man beat, shot at his pregnant girlfriend while free on felony case, prosecutors say (September 26, 2021)
- #46: Man shot woman during argument over phone messages while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (October 10, 2021)
- #47: Twice-convicted gun offender shot man while on bail for another gun case and escape, prosecutors say (October 12, 2021)
- #48: Five-time felon killed his own cousin while on electronic monitoring for pending narcotics case, prosecutors say (November 3, 2021)
- #49: Gunman shot a passing car while firing across Chicago Avenue — and while on felony bond (November 6, 2021)
- #50: Uber driver was murdered by a man who was on felony bail, federal prosecutors say. But that’s only part of the story. (November 8, 2021)
- #51: Concealed carry holder kills catalytic converter thief who opened fire on him in West Lakeview (November 11, 2021)
- #52: Man who shot driver in South Loop on Saturday was AWOL from a pending felony case, prosecutors say (November 23, 2021)
- #53: Man charged with shooting 1-year-old while on recognizance bond for felony gun case (November 26, 2021)
- #54: Man opened fire on trucker during expressway dispute — while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (November 27, 2021)
- #55: Man killed 2, shot 3 more while awaiting trial for carjacking, prosecutors say (November 28, 2021)
- #56: Man tried to kill his wife on the Kennedy Expressway while on bond for domestic battery, on parole for domestic battery, and on conditional discharge for domestic battery, prosecutors say (November 29, 2021)
- #57: Man shot store clerk while on bond for felony gun case, prosecutors say (December 10, 2021)
- #58: Man opened fire on cops in traffic — while on bond for felony gun case, prosecutors say (December 13, 2021)
- #28 (again): Anti-violence worker is charged with murder and attempted murder while on felony bail. It’s the second murder he’s accused of committing while on bond. (December 15, 2021)
- #59: Convicted felon shot and killed another man while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (December 16, 2021)
- #60: Man shot a teenager during a drug deal — while on electronic monitoring for gun and drug cases, prosecutors say (December 18, 2021)
- #61: Felon shot and killed the mother of his children while he was on bail for possessing a stolen firearm, prosecutors say (December 21, 2021)
- #62: Convicted felon, on bail for gun case, tried to kill 2 Chicago cops on Christmas Eve, prosecutors say (December 26, 2021)
- #63: Six-time felon killed a pedestrian while driving 66 MPH less than a month after posting bail in gun case, prosecutors say (January 23, 2022)
- #64 and #65: 2 men charged with double-shooting that left 1 victim dead were BOTH on bond for felony gun cases — and 1 was on electronic monitoring (January 26, 2022)
- #66: He killed a man in August then shot a woman in December all while on electronic monitoring for felony gun cases, prosecutors say (March 4, 2022)