A 16-year-old and a 21-year-old who fatally shot a man inside a West Garfield Park laundromat last summer were both awaiting trials for felony charges at the time of the murder, according to court records. The juvenile was supposed to be on electronic monitoring. And, CWB has learned, the accused man, on bail for a gun charge, was convicted of murdering a 15-year-old as a juvenile.
Prosecutors announced charges against Toby Jones, now 17, and Keon Frazier, now 22, on Tuesday. They are the 69th and 70th persons charged with killing or shooting — or trying to shoot or kill — someone in Chicago last year while awaiting trial for a felony.
Jones and Frazier walked into the Spin Cycle laundromat at 4258 West Madison at 3:31 p.m. last August 9 and circled around the washing machines, Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said Tuesday during a bail hearing for Jones.
Surveillance video shows Frazier approaching Jeremy Head, 28, and then pulling out a gun to shoot Head seven or eight times, Murphy said. Jones allegedly walked past Head and fired two more shots into the fallen man’s body.
Head died from gunshot wounds throughout his body. Police recovered shell casings from two different guns at the scene, Murphy said.
Police quickly closed in on Frazier as a suspect by linking the killers’ getaway car to him. He rented the car using his real name, date of birth, and address, Murphy said. The vehicle was also wanted in connection with a robbery in Rockford from four days before the murder, Murphy continued. Frazier lives in Rockford.
Surveillance video showed both gunmen leaving palm prints on the laundromat’s glass door. Murphy said investigators matched the prints to Frazier and Jones.
Murder charges while awaiting trial
Jones was supposed to be on electronic monitoring for juvenile felony charges of possessing a stolen motor vehicle and aggravated battery of police. Murphy said Jones admitted to cutting off his ankle monitor.
The teen, who was questioned about the murder in the presence of his mother on Monday, denied ever being at the laundromat and he had no explanation for how his palm print ended up on the inside of its glass door, Murphy said.
A juvenile court adjudicated Jones delinquent for robbery in April 2019 and possessing a stolen motor vehicle in March 2021, according to Murphy.
Frazier is currently jailed in Rockford on $100,000 bail on armed robbery and gun charges, according to Winnebago County Sheriff records. Murphy said Tuesday that Frazier had already been charged in the laundromat murder. Cook County court records show that Frazier has been indicted and a warrant is issued in the case, but he has not been brought before a judge for a bail hearing.
In 2015, prosecutors charged Frazier with first-degree murder and armed robbery with discharge of a firearm for the murder of 15-year-old Kimon Wheeler. Frazier was also 15 at the time and he was accused of personally killing Wheeler.
A jury convicted Frazier of first-degree murder but acquitted him of robbery, according to appellate court records. He was sentenced to commitment in the Department of Juvenile Justice until his 21st birthday, the record shows.
Exactly six months after his 21st birthday, on April 18, 2021, Chicago cops allegedly saw Frazier grab his waistband and run away as were on patrol in North Lawndale. They saw him remove a gun and jump over fences, prosecutors said.
Police caught him and retraced his path. They found a loaded handgun with a laser sight along his route, prosecutors said. He is charged with felony unlawful use of a weapon.
During a bail hearing the next day, Frazier’s public defender said he was going to college to study criminal justice.
Judge Mary Marubio asked Frazier if he could afford a $500 bail bond. He could, so she said that would be the amount he’d need to get out.
“I’m gonna put you on pretrial monitoring,” Marubio told Frazier. “It’s the lowest level of checking in” with authorities while on bail, she told him.
Frazier was released from custody the same day and was under that “lowest level of checking in” bail condition when he allegedly killed Head at the laundromat.
Note: CPD said a 69-year-old man was also shot at the laundromat, but Jones and Head are not charged with injuring him.
The “not horrible” series
This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been charged with murder, attempted murder, and shooting firearms while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.
The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people on felony bail is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has made arrests in less than 5% of non-fatal shootings and 33% of murders, according to the city’s data. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.
Related 2021 stories
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)
- #23 and #24: Two more men accused of shooting people while on bail for felonies (June 13, 2021)
- #25: Man on bail for 2 felonies had pistol at hospital where his girlfriend was being treated for gunshot wound, prosecutors say (June 25, 2021)
- Man charged with shooting tourist, killing passerby while AWOL on gun case, prosecutors say (June 26, 2021)
- #26: Shooter in murder-suicide was on bail for two pending gun felonies, police say (July 6, 2021)
- #27: Teen charged with killing 73-year-old carjacking victim was AWOL in felony stolen car case, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #28: Man on felony bail killed another driver during highway robbery attempt, prosecutors say (July 17, 2021)
- #29: On electronic monitoring for gun case, man escapes and shoots victim in the face, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #30: Man, on bond for gun case, shot woman 10 times in her back, prosecutors say (July 23, 2021)
- #31: Man shot 2 victims in separate robberies while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (July 25, 2021)
- #32: Teen with pending felony gun case shot man dead over shoulder bump, prosecutors say (July 28, 2021)
- #33: Gunman in mass shooting was on $200 bond for pending firearms case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #34: Man tried to kill stranger during 8-minute random attack inside Lincoln Park store, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #35: Man murdered another in cold blood while on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 12, 2021)
- #36: Uber Eats driver was gunned down in random attack by man who’s on bond for gun case, prosecutors say (August 14, 2021)
- #37: Man’s charged with trying to kill 2 cops while on a recognizance bond for injuring 2 cops who tried to arrest him in March (August 19, 2021)
- #38: Man killed one, shot another while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (August 25, 2021)
- #39 – Man’s charged with two separate shootings while AWOL on burglary charge (September 8, 2021)
- #40: Chef is accused of slashing friend’s throat while on bond for allegedly stabbing his own brother to death (September 9, 2021)
- #41: Man charged with firing 14 shots during carjacking — while on recognizance bond for stolen car case (February 10, 2021)
- #42: Man killed 1, injured 3 in expressway shooting while on bond for attempted murder, prosecutor say (September 11, 2021)
- #43: Man shot victim 11 times while awaiting new trial in gun case, prosecutors say (September 22, 2021)
- #44: Man charged with trying to kill his girlfriend while on felony bond (September 22, 2021)
- #45: Man beat, shot at his pregnant girlfriend while free on felony case, prosecutors say (September 26, 2021)
- #46: Man shot woman during argument over phone messages while on bail for felony gun case, prosecutors say (October 10, 2021)
- #47: Twice-convicted gun offender shot man while on bail for another gun case and escape, prosecutors say (October 12, 2021)
- #48: Five-time felon killed his own cousin while on electronic monitoring for pending narcotics case, prosecutors say (November 3, 2021)
- #49: Gunman shot a passing car while firing across Chicago Avenue — and while on felony bond (November 6, 2021)
- #50: Uber driver was murdered by a man who was on felony bail, federal prosecutors say. But that’s only part of the story. (November 8, 2021)
- #51: Concealed carry holder kills catalytic converter thief who opened fire on him in West Lakeview (November 11, 2021)
- #52: Man who shot driver in South Loop on Saturday was AWOL from a pending felony case, prosecutors say (November 23, 2021)
- #53: Man charged with shooting 1-year-old while on recognizance bond for felony gun case (November 26, 2021)
- #54: Man opened fire on trucker during expressway dispute — while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (November 27, 2021)
- #55: Man killed 2, shot 3 more while awaiting trial for carjacking, prosecutors say (November 28, 2021)
- #56: Man tried to kill his wife on the Kennedy Expressway while on bond for domestic battery, on parole for domestic battery, and on conditional discharge for domestic battery, prosecutors say (November 29, 2021)
- #57: Man shot store clerk while on bond for felony gun case, prosecutors say (December 10, 2021)
- #58: Man opened fire on cops in traffic — while on bond for felony gun case, prosecutors say (December 13, 2021)
- #28 (again): Anti-violence worker is charged with murder and attempted murder while on felony bail. It’s the second murder he’s accused of committing while on bond. (December 15, 2021)
- #59: Convicted felon shot and killed another man while on bond for being a felon in possession of a firearm, prosecutors say (December 16, 2021)
- #60: Man shot a teenager during a drug deal — while on electronic monitoring for gun and drug cases, prosecutors say (December 18, 2021)
- #61: Felon shot and killed the mother of his children while he was on bail for possessing a stolen firearm, prosecutors say (December 21, 2021)
- #62: Convicted felon, on bail for gun case, tried to kill 2 Chicago cops on Christmas Eve, prosecutors say (December 26, 2021)
- #63: Six-time felon killed a pedestrian while driving 66 MPH less than a month after posting bail in gun case, prosecutors say (January 23, 2022)
- #64 and #65: 2 men charged with double-shooting that left 1 victim dead were BOTH on bond for felony gun cases — and 1 was on electronic monitoring (January 26, 2022)
- #66: He killed a man in August then shot a woman in December all while on electronic monitoring for felony gun cases, prosecutors say (March 4, 2022)
- #67: He committed 13 armed robberies, beat people with a baseball bat, and killed a father who was hanging Christmas lights, prosecutors say. And he did it while on felony bail. (March 5, 2022)
- #68: Twice-convicted gun offender fired shots, threatened hospital guards while on bond for felony gun case, prosecutors say (March 5, 2022)